Thread: Air rifles???

Basic Member

Air rifles???

I'm dumber than a blacksmith's anvil when it comes to air rifles. I only had one, a Daisy BB w/open sights when I was five or six and only used it to shoot sparrows and my sister.

My son bought his two offsprings each a Stoeger X20 17 cal pellet rifle w/scope for Christmas. Well, the first time out one scope took a hike, its a baby rattle. The best I understand(?) it, a X20 uses a air piston not a spring to launch pellets so can I put one of my CF rifle scopes on his boomer or must Pop spring for a air rifle only scope?

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Air rifle scopes are made to take recoil both ways and usually have a glass reticle. The sudden jolt and learch forward seems to have an ill effect on wire reticles. I once thought a good centerfire scope would be sufficient for a spring piston air rifle, but after 5 shots my 36 Leupold gave up. It would be best to have one rated for air rifles.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    If your son bought a "package deal" of the Stoegers and scopes, the company he bought them from owe him or them a replacement scope. As said by other responders to this post, an "air rifle specific" scope needs to be used because of the unique recoil characteristics. Even a high quality scope designed for use with a center fire rifle will rarely, if ever, hold up to the pounding the pellet guns will give them.

Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    I'm dumber than a blacksmith's anvil when it comes to air rifles. I only had one, a Daisy BB w/open sights when I was five or six and only used it to shoot sparrows and my sister.

My son bought his two offsprings each a Stoeger X20 17 cal pellet rifle w/scope for Christmas. Well, the first time out one scope took a hike, its a baby rattle. The best I understand(?) it, a X20 uses a air piston not a spring to launch pellets so can I put one of my CF rifle scopes on his boomer or must Pop spring for a air rifle only scope?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Air rifle scopes are made to take recoil both ways and usually have a glass reticle. The sudden jolt and learch forward seems to have an ill effect on wire reticles. I once thought a good centerfire scope would be sufficient for a spring piston air rifle, but after 5 shots my 36 Leupold gave up. It would be best to have one rated for air rifles.
    ^ this, for real. Powerful spring-piston air rifles are brutal on scopes. My old RWS has made more than one "baby rattles" as you described, before I became convinced of the necessity to put a true airgun-rated scope on it. I have a Swift 6.5-20x44 on it and it's held up pretty well so far. I think it's the one Dean linked above, but his link didn't work for me so I can't say for sure. Also have an adjustable, airgun-rated mount for the scope on mine, and it is a big help. Still, with these specialty optics and mounts, true precision has been elusive with mine. I feel it's due to the severe vibration and back-and-forth motion generated by the piston mechanism. Very hard to keep a large scope zeroed with all that going on. Sounds hard to believe, being "just an airgun" and all, but true.