Thread: modle 24 or 42

ktm247

modle 24 or 42

HI every one I am looking to get a 22mag over 20 ga or 22mag 410 witch one of the models shoot better thank you for all the info

tatters
    I had a dickens of a time finding one, but I have a modle 42 in .410/.22mag. I must be the only soul on the planet that likes these. I mounted a fixed low-power scope. Mine is nicely accurate, and although I haven't field tested it in any way, I believe it to be pretty handy.

tuxnjeans

Love my 42

You're not alone on the planet, Tatters. I love my 42 and have learned to just ignore the wood-and-steel-centric haters who can't move on beyond the 24 models. I owned two of them and they were both just too heavy for my old arms to carry all day in the field so I sold them. I also owned a Springfield Scout M6 which was much lighter but very uncomfortable to shoot (and ugly as sin) so I sold that too.

Then I picked up an M42... the heavens opened up, all the stars seemed to line up for me (OK, excuse the hyperbole) and I knew I'd found my perfect O/U survival and fun gun. Seriously, this gun is light, versatile and anyone who still thinks it's poorly made either hasn't handled one recently or is too bogged down in the Model 24C past to move on and accept the inevitability of change. No, it doesn't look like the 24's; yes, it has polymer parts; yes, it's probably overpriced. So what...haters...either deal with it or shut up and lug your heavy dinosaur guns around like the gym equipment it is:). (now bracing for outraged flames from Model 24 diehards).

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your 42 as much as I'm enjoying mine. Let the rest of the planet envy the smiles on our faces!

Quote Originally Posted by tatters View Post
    I had a dickens of a time finding one, but I have a modle 42 in .410/.22mag. I must be the only soul on the planet that likes these. I mounted a fixed low-power scope. Mine is nicely accurate, and although I haven't field tested it in any way, I believe it to be pretty handy.

I'm a big fan of the old 24's, and I reluctantly requested a 42 in for review last year knowing I would probably hate it based on it's appearance and materials. As hard as it was for me to admit, I actually liked it for the most part. The only real issues I had with it were 1) the worthless factory sights that are a joke, and 2) the extremely heavy trigger pull. If Savage were to address those two things (or even just put some decent usable sights on it) there would probably be one behind the seat of my truck.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

sav250
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    I'm a big fan of the old 24's, and I reluctantly requested a 42 in for review last year knowing I would probably hate it based on it's appearance and materials. As hard as it was for me to admit, I actually liked it for the most part. The only real issues I had with it were 1) the worthless factory sights that are a joke, and 2) the extremely heavy trigger pull. If Savage were to address those two things (or even just put some decent usable sights on it) there would probably be one behind the seat of my truck.
    On that note my 24 .22WMR over 20 gauge 3" was the best combination gun out of all others. I have looked into Savage's latest but until I see them do it in .22 WMR over 20 gauge I won't buy it.

Yeah, I would prefer the 20-gauge as well - with a fixed modified choke.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain