Thread: Suggestions for home made pillars for old 112 going into new Boyds Pro Varmint?

Basic Member

Suggestions for home made pillars for old 112 going into new Boyds Pro Varmint?

Got an "old" 112 7 mag in a Choate stock that shoots great but want a lighter, "prettier" stock. Going with a Boyds laminate. I will be attempting (for the first time) to pillar and glass bed the thing. I've had extensive experience in these areas: combat medic (U.S. Army), electronics technician (after military), and carpenter, so my hands work fairly well. That being said, I ain't skeered to try something new, so does anyone have suggestions on something I can use to make my own pillars for the bedding job. You folks are a resourceful lot, so I am confident y'all can help an ol' redneck medic. Thanks in advance.
    "Do you trust the government?" If the answer is 'Yes,' you can accurately surmise they don't understand the original intent of the 2nd Amendment.

Basic Member
    I turn my own to fit, but some use threaded lamp rod. The thing to remember, pillars serve one purpose only, prevent stock material compression/displacement, so as long as it does the job I guess it doesn't really matter what they're made of.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Team Savage
    You can buy spacers from McMaster-Carr in many sizes. I do not cut the notch in the rear pillar until I have installed it.

Bill

Team Savage
    + 1 for lamp rod