Thread: Savage date of manufacture

Twatts118

Savage date of manufacture

I just bought a mint savage 110d serial #105312 on the receiver and a circle with 29u on the barrel. I'm new to the post, can anyone tell me when this gun was made? I'm assuming the d is for deluxe since it has fancy walnut stock and checkering. Any info would help. Thanks

Twatts118
    I've got a gun trader digest that says the 110 d has a hinged floor plate. Mine does not, it has a cover that looks like a floor plate but has screws on both ends. It really don't matter I was just curious.

Twatts118
    I also just noticed in my gun trader digest that they don't show the savage 110d listed in a 308 which mine is. I'm trying to download pictures so maybe you guys can help me out.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twatts118 View Post
    I just bought a mint savage 110d serial #105312 on the receiver and a circle with 29u on the barrel. I'm new to the post, can anyone tell me when this gun was made? I'm assuming the d is for deluxe since it has fancy walnut stock and checkering. Any info would help. Thanks
    They are closed until January 5, 2015 but you can try >>> https://store.savagearms.com/partfinder

Twatts118
    Ok thanks.

Date code puts it at 1967.
    Savage- "never say never".

JCalhoun
    Savage did a lot uncataloged stuff.

Twatts118
    Ok thanks for all the help guys.

First off, Gun Trader Digest (just like the Blue Book of Gun Values) doesn't have a clue what they're talking about when it comes to Savage firearms.

Savage never offered a hinged floorplate until recently. They had a design back in the early 1960's but it suffered from an automatic magazine dump issue caused by recoil. In other words, it would open and dump your ammo on the ground when you shot it. Based on my sources no production version ever shipped, though a few prototype versions did make it out to select field testers and writers during development.

What you have (the plate with two screws) was the band-aid fix for all the stocks they had ordered for the hinged floor plate. They just threw a plate over the bottom and made them blind magazine stocks.

Below is the scanned 1967 catalog, but the 110D doesn't show up until 1969 - which I haven't scanned/uploaded yet. Distinguishing features are select walnut stock, skipline checkered pistol grip & forearm, aluminum butt plate, gold bead front sight on removable ramp, and a folding semi-buckhorn rear sight with step elevator.

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...-Print-Catalog
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain