Thread: Free floating question for 112 heavy barrel in boyds pro varmint stock

Basic Member

Free floating question for 112 heavy barrel in boyds pro varmint stock

This has probably been answered dozens of times, but I'm new so I apologize in advance. I went through pages of posts but couldn't find a specific answer to this question? I have a model 112 7 mag with heavy barrel. Does the Boyds stock have pillars? If not, have you found it satisfactory as a drop-in, or should I "get my hands wet" with my first attempt at a bedding job? Seems a bit overwhelming from a distance.
    "Do you trust the government?" If the answer is 'Yes,' you can accurately surmise they don't understand the original intent of the 2nd Amendment.

reynoldsfamily3
    I don't believe Boyd's have pillars, but it is easy to put them in.

Basic Member
    They don't have pillars.

Just do it. :) Pillars and bedding. Not that hard, though I often have to try it 3 times before I get it the way I want (no signs of binding because the action screws turn free till they suddenly stop). second and third tries are easier, just grind down a bit of the prior bedding material and skim coat it.

Once it is done I have a lot more confidence in the rifle. I then proceed to load development without worrying that there's other issues interfering with it's accuracy.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    They don't have pillars.

Just do it. :) Pillars and bedding. Not that hard, though I often have to try it 3 times before I get it the way I want (no signs of binding because the action screws turn free till they suddenly stop). second and third tries are easier, just grind down a bit of the prior bedding material and skim coat it.

Once it is done I have a lot more confidence in the rifle. I then proceed to load development without worrying that there's other issues interfering with it's accuracy.
    Thanks, Foxx. Hey, did you purchase pillars or make your own? I've heard tell some guys make pillars out of lamp rods. I gotta look for an explanation on how you get the pillar centered in the drilled hole. Any pointers?
    "Do you trust the government?" If the answer is 'Yes,' you can accurately surmise they don't understand the original intent of the 2nd Amendment.