Thread: PTG(Dave Kiff) oversized bolt questions

Peter_Kirch

PTG(Dave Kiff) oversized bolt questions

Ok guys, those of you who have gotten a PTG(Dave Kiff) oversized savage bolt. I have some questions.

I have a T&T savage 16 action that still has too much slop IMO.
    Does the whole rifle need to be sent back to Fred to be re-T&T'd?
    I understand at minimum to make it work I would need to send it to him for get the rear turned down, have the cocking ramp recut, and have it fluted (the current bolt is fluted).
    I would plan to reuse the existing bolt head the has been T&T'd, so would the geometry change by changing bolt bodies? I would think it doesn't because of the floating bolt head but I could be mistaken.

Thanks
    peter

82boy

Re: PTG(Dave Kiff) oversized bolt questions

The best answer to your question is to contact Fred when he gets back next week.
    Bolt bodies differ in length and other properties, so I would say yes, you would have to send the entire action back to SSS, to make things right again. Yes, the rear needs turned down, and the cocking ramp re-cut, and there would be minor tweaks to place everything in sync. The fluting is a minor cosmetic detail.

Peter_Kirch

well yes the fluting is cosmetic. I have already emailed him, just figured I'd gather as much info as I could before he emailed back.

snoog37

If you are getting one from PTG, have them spiral flute it before it leaves. Just had one made myself. Looks fantastic, and did take out considerable bolt "slop".

zepheris.hk

Quote Originally Posted by snoog37
    If you are getting one from PTG, have them spiral flute it before it leaves. Just had one made myself. Looks fantastic, and did take out considerable bolt "slop".
    I did the same then sent it to Fred for fitting/ T&T. Feels buttery smooth with no slop. I feel like it is one of the best mods I've done to my Savage in reference to feel.

Peter_Kirch

Do they only make one size bolt for savages? I know for the remingtons you can order and diameter you want.

RWO

IMHO, the oversized bolt is a waste of money. The original reason for oversize bolts was to maintain good, square lug contact on a rigid bolt action like a Rem. 700. Savage's floating bolt head eliminates the need for a tight bolt and is the reason Shilen is using one in it's new custom action.

RWO

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Kirch
    Do they only make one size bolt for savages? I know for the remingtons you can order and diameter you want.
    Nope, you have to measure you Savage and tell them what it is.

Basic Member

The one that I got from PTG was fluted, oversized and measured .7 something. I had it sent to SSS for my T&T'd target action so I guess we will see when it comes back.

PEI Rob

RWO, it is a good thing to have a bolt body fit without slop. When the firing pin hits it vibrates the action. A loose bolt body will vibrate with more variation than a tight bolt body. Variation is bad.

DGD6MM

My bolt is as sloppy as they get, and it still shoots teeny tiny groups. I like the smoothness of the action's that I've held and shot that have been T&T, but they are no more accurate then my rifle. I've got a new Stevens I may have done, then again I may not. All depends on how it shoots, not how it feels.

Peter_Kirch

I am not getting it because I need more accuracy, the rifle has already been worked over by SSS.
    I'm just an anal retentive guy ::) and the "feel" of the bolt has been bothering me.

So, I would like a tight and smooth bolt. The rifle in its current state has quite a bit of slop and not so smooth bolt raceways(and yes with cheap factory ammo shoots 1/2" groups maybe better with a more adept shooter). The lockup is perfectly smooth thanks to Fred but it still didn't help the actual cycling of the bolt.

also anybody have a trick way of polishing bolt raceway/rails? Ive been thinking of taking a sheet of metal and forming it to the inside bottom of the action and then just using some lapping compound.

zepheris.hk

Absolutely. Many here who do buy the Kiff OS bolt body aren't getting them to improve the rifle's "accuracy" but rather improve the "feel". My rifle shoots no better or worse with the Kiff bolt, but it makes me more comfortable because bolt manipulation is so much smoother.

DGD6MM

I recon I like the ruff stuff. ;D