Thread: savage 1903 some issues

johnpem

savage 1903 some issues

Hi All,
    first time poster here from Mass. Merry Christmas to everyone...

I picked up a 1903 sn 835xx thats needed some love so i figured i'd work on it as a project, always wanted a pump 22. got a few missing parts on it replaced and i am down to 2 issues.
    the first is the safety sping, i believe its broken, correct me if i'm wrong but it looks like there are supposed to two ears on the end that fits to the safety bar? mine looks sheared and the safety definately won't work. so i looked around at the usual online places, gun parts ,bob's. cound not find one anyone know where i can get one?

the bigger problem.. maybe related but don't see how it is, the gun don't fire.... the hammer locks back and releases but no bang, i replaced the firing pin with one from gun parts and it was not identical but it fit,and that does not work either, i believe the original is a gen 1 firing pin, i was told. sorry don't have a pic right yet. but providing the replacement pin was ok to function.. are there any other things to look for that can cause it to not hit the primer? seems like a pretty simple operation, maybe the chamber is letting the bullet sit in too far to get a strike?

appreciate any help i can get on this one.
    JohnP

Basic Member
    I do not know what to tell you about the firing issue, if you could post pictures of the parts it may help. Does the firing pin dent the case?

The safety/trigger spring changed over the years of production, some had the ears and some did not. Without checking I do not know which type would have been standard for a gun in the serial number range of yours - when I get some time I will pull a stock or two to see. The safety arm is what pushes on the trigger and the spring you are referring is what makes it do that. If the trigger is working that spring is at least doing part of it's function correctly - again pictures might help.

I sold one of these springs a couple years ago and sent two springs, one with ears and one without, the buyer said only one seemed to work correctly. I have not tried this myself to see if they are interchangeable but from his feedback it seems there maybe enough difference that they are not, this would also suggest some difference in the safety arms (other than the ears both springs look the same to me).