Thread: Caliber Change

Big Ray Ray

Caliber Change

Hey guys new member here and new Savage owner. I'm hoping one of you gentlemen can help me. I have one of the new model Savage F-Class rifles. It's chambered in the 6.5mmx.284 norma . I would really like to change over to .308 or maybe .223. Is this possible? Would I have to change the bolt or work the ejectors or is it just a simple barrel swap. Thanks guys I was referred here from benchrestcentral.com and they said this was the definitive Savage brand site. :)

tinkerer

Re: Caliber Change

284 bolt head will fit a 308.

Get a new barrel (I like McGowen, NSS has some), put it on and shoot.

223 requires both a new bolt head and a new barrel.

Larry
    Tinkerer

ellobo

And, dont forget you will need a wrench to remove the nut for the barrel swap, as well as an action wrench to hold the action while you beat the daylights out of the nut wrench to loosen the nut. The factory uses gorrilas masquarading as little old ladies to tighten the nut at the factory. If you are looking to go cheap check Midway USA for one of thier Adams and Bennet barrels. 1/3 the price of the custom barrels like Macgowen, Shillen ec. I have three and they shoot sub MOA. I know they have .308 barrels and .223. Otherwise figure on $300 + for a Shilen, etc. And figure on having go and no-go guages for headspacing.

El Lobo

And, welcome to the Brothehood of the Barrel Nut

Big Ray Ray

Wow I really appreciate the help guys. I guess I'm going to order a barrel now, but I'm going to use a gun smith to install it.

Basic Member

Just don't use one of those "I'm gonna throw away that barrel nut" guys. That's the beauty of a Savage, it easy to swap barrels and headspace quickly with the nut. You don't even have to really be gun savvy to do it. For the cost of labor, you'd have the tools and could easily do the next one yourself (YES there WILL be a next one ;D, it's part of the addiction.

Welcome to the assylum.

Big Ray Ray

Quote Originally Posted by handirifle
    Just don't use one of those "I'm gonna throw away that barrel nut" guys. That's the beauty of a Savage, it easy to swap barrels and headspace quickly with the nut. You don't even have to really be gun savvy to do it. For the cost of labor, you'd have the tools and could easily do the next one yourself (YES there WILL be a next one ;D, it's part of the addiction.

Welcome to the assylum.
    Is there a way I could mess up. This would be my first attempt at gun smithing. I've been a carpenter by trade for over 20 years so I'm used to working with tools, but I'm a woodworker. I'm not asking how to do it but is there a way I could really mess up.

Big Ray Ray

Also guys I know I'm a newbie so sorry, but if you could suffer one more ? or point me to the right thread. What other calibers will my bolt support?

Basic Member

I'm sure many will list the calibers, but any .473" head cartridge will work with the bolt, you just have to be mindful of overall length.

Steves pages have a huge list to compare
    http://www.stevespages.com/page8d.htm

Here's one from the Articles section on this site

http://savageshooters.com/index.php?...rel%20Swapping

Look over all the articles, a WEALTH on info there. Here's the technical articles.

http://savageshooters.com/index.php If you can do skilled carpentry, you can easily do this.

possum1

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ray Ray
    Also guys I know I'm a newbie so sorry, but if you could suffer one more ? or point me to the right thread. What other calibers will my bolt support?
    http://www.gunnersgear.com/savage_pi...head_sizes.pdf

bushwack

He'll need to measure his threads to see if he has a standard or large shank barrel also.

Don't ask me how I know

Quote Originally Posted by bushwack
    He'll need to measure his threads to see if he has a standard or large shank barrel also.

Don't ask me how I know
    Actually easier than that 5/8 long barrel nut large shank, 7/8 long nut small shank.
    Half the reason for buying a Savage is for the fun of swapping barrels and or calibers. Some on here claim to be able to change without stock removal, and do it at the range.
    If you join the site $12 the information you can get is more than you could ever get anywhere else for 10x the cost. You can learn how to change barrels with out expensive tools, how to disassemble and assemble bolts how to change triggers and so on.Then the need for a gunsmith goes way down and remember most smiths are remington guys.On here you will get some info from a Savage smith or maybe 2 of them, and then there are the 100's of informal smiths with a wealth of info.
    By the way welcome to the site.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member

Is there a way I could mess up. This would be my first attempt at gun smithing. I've been a carpenter by trade for over 20 years so I'm used to working with tools, but I'm a woodworker. I'm not asking how to do it but is there a way I could really mess up.
    You would have no problem swapping a barrel. Invest $12 in becoming a member. That will give you access to all of the tech articles and they will show you how easy it is.

Even if you decide not to swap the barrel yourself (but, you will) all of the articles are still worth way more than $12. They unfortunate part of being a member is that it gives your acces to the Classified section. This has cost members hundreds or even thousands of dollars in new acquistitions.

Welcome to the Darkside.

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

I am a journeyman electrician and I have changed a barrel, bolt head and firing pin. I have adjusted the trigger on my Savages and my Remingtons. I have bedded three rifles and all this I learned after I paid my $12 and with the help of all the members here.

It is not that difficult to do.
    Founding member of the 7MM STW Club, Member Cull Hunting Association, Best times that I had, were/are, fishing with my wife and daughter.

Team Savage

spend the 12$ then buy the tools & parts
    then have fun once you use the barrel nut you never go back
    have fun an never look back

drybean

Big Ray Ray

Will I need a barrel vise?

Basic Member

You don't need a barrel vise unless you really want one. You can use just an action wrench and barrel nut wrench. You won't need both an action wrench and barrel vise. If you are afraid of scratches bring on the tape. Hardest part to all this is just learning to give the nut wrench a good stiff wack. It's kind of like pulling off a bandaid. You are better just going for it. Lol

Basic Member

I am a journeyman electrician and I have changed a barrel, bolt head and firing pin.
    \

So easy that even a cub could do it :)

You will need a good solid bench vise. With a good strong bench vise a barrel nut wrench and a pair of wood barrel blocks and a little rosin from Sharpshooter or similar you can get it apart. Many people seem to have trouble with the barrel blocks but I suspect in many cases they just dont have a good quality bench vise and a sturdy bench.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Basic Member

Not to disagree with Ed, but I have always found the it's much easier to take off factory barrels with an action wrench. Both action and nut wrenches are on sale at Midway this month.

Basic Member

Not to disagree with anybody, but I've taken off more barrels than everybody on this board combined, x 10 and have NEVER used an action wrench. The biggest dilemma is what Ed stated.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."