Thread: Duracote?

stealthshooter

Duracote?

Was wondering if there are any Duracoted rifles on the forum? If so how hard was it to do and how has it been holding up?

Thanks
    Kris

rigelb79

Re: Duracote?

I tried duracote on some Mauser parts a while back and it was ok. What I have found that works and is a lot cheaper is VHT Silica-Ceramic Coating. It is used to coat headers and costs about $8 at your local auto parts store. They make a couple different colors and it is spray on bake on. I am about to use it on an Essex frame for a 1911 and will post pics. I had it on a Sako L579 and it looked and wore well.I sold the rifle to fund a new Savage. If just using it on small parts(actions/frames etc.) get a cheap toaster oven to do the baking and keep your wife happy.

hotbrass

How hot does it have to get and how long?

How hard and scratch resistant is it?

Thanks!

Duracoat is tough as nails when done right, and looks great. You do need to let it cure though, meaning just let it sit for a couple of weeks after the application.
    Kelly

When I first did my 1911 slide I called the duracoat people and they told me to cure at 350* for 30 mins., when it is cool enough to reassemble it is good to go.Mine has been done for about 4years and doesn't show much wear but it hasn't been carried or used all that much since being done.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

rigelb79

I guess that is a good point Duracote takes less time and does not have to get as hot. The VHT takes about 2 hours to do and you need to get the oven to about 500 degrees. I just happen that I have more time than money.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.