Thread: Anybody using a short action with 260rem Match chamber?

Basic Member

Anybody using a short action with 260rem Match chamber?

I'm starting to look for the pieces I need to put together a 260 to shoot the 140 Amax or Bergers. I am limited to a short action due to the stock I want is only made for them. With the longer freebore of the Match chamberings NSS offers I imagine I'll be way over magazine length when touching the lands. My question is how much would I be over mag length roughly? I plan on shooting it single shot but am curious incase I ever decide to take it out for whitetail. I plan on loading long to get as much powder in as possible (well what's needed) with the loss of capacity that comes with using Lapua brass. Thanks for any help!

Basic Member
    I am not the best to answer your question, but I"ll get it started. In my Savage 10's, anything slightly less than 3inches coal will feed through my action. My longest load measures 2.9457" coal, and they cycle and eject just fine. "I" don't feel that a 260Rem needs a long action, no matter what the throat deminions.(jMHO :) .

That being said, all my actions are set up for single load, including my hunting rifles. I don't invest all of this time and money into assembling the rifle I want and reloading "to miss". "One shot, one kill" :-)).

The other thing is, for hunting accuracy, you don't have to use the load you mentioned, and you don't have to chase the lands. I have a hunting rifle, that when shooting it's most accurate load, jumps .160" to the lands, and I can shoot that rifle less than MOA out to 300yds.

Good Luck/Good Shooting.....Jim :-))

Basic Member
    Thank you Jim! That's a big help to me. Like I said I don't plan on using the magazine but sometimes things change and if they do I wasn't sure if I would have to be crushing powder to get them to fit. Thanks again!

Basic Member
    I'm using a standard 260 rem chamber and a short action. I'm using nosler 140 at 2.85". 42 grains of 4350 is my load and I still can shake the powder in the case. I think you'll run into pressure before crunching powder.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    I am not the best to answer your question, but I"ll get it started. In my Savage 10's, anything slightly less than 3inches coal will feed through my action. My longest load measures 2.9457" coal, and they cycle and eject just fine. "I" don't feel that a 260Rem needs a long action, no matter what the throat deminions.(jMHO :) .

That being said, all my actions are set up for single load, including my hunting rifles. I don't invest all of this time and money into assembling the rifle I want and reloading "to miss". "One shot, one kill" :-)).

The other thing is, for hunting accuracy, you don't have to use the load you mentioned, and you don't have to chase the lands. I have a hunting rifle, that when shooting it's most accurate load, jumps .160" to the lands, and I can shoot that rifle less than MOA out to 300yds.

Good Luck/Good Shooting.....Jim :-))
    is your 2.9547 load in a 260? if so what bullet is that load?

In my standard 260 a Berger vld is kissing the lands at 2.905, well within Savage SA mag capacity.
    Hornady 140bthp kiss at 2.875

Am i wrong, comparing 260 and 260 match seems the 260 would have the longer COAL?

Was it reamed (the chamber) with a real match reamer or was it a pre fit no turn neck? If you bought a match grade barrel it only means better care was taken to manufacture it. Prefits are reamed to sammi spec and are not much different than a regular factory barrel. The reamers criterion are using are supposed to be a tighter spec then savage would use.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Is anyone using the Matrix 160 gr?

Basic Member
    Thanks for the input fellas. When I use the term "match" it's referring to the option Northlander gives us with his prefit barrels where it is simply more freebore for using the longer 140's and keeping the bullet ahead of the neck/shoulder junction. In a post where he explained this a while back he says it's a freebore of .160" vs the standard spec of .118".

Basic Member
    LongRange, I am talking about a 260Remington load shot in a Savage 10 action.
    Working from memory here, I now think my coal was 2.9457". Not a lot of difference.
    The bullet in that load is a Remington PSP 140grn. It is what I think is called a "bore rider", a two diameter bullet, which doesn't touch the lands until the first cannilure, there are two. The whole front part of the bullet is down in the bore, and the back part is .010" off the lands in this load. When I first built my 260, I bought these bullets for breakin and load development, on my way up to Bergers. But alas, they are my most accurate bullet in that barrel, out to 300yds, and they kill deer very dead.

Who knew ? ?.......Jim