Thread: PTG Bolt head failing to eject... UGH!

PTG Bolt head failing to eject... UGH!

Anyone seen this before? I had it on my 30-06 from new, went to the oversized ball and the problem went away, and that one ejects just fine with the PTG Bolt Head...

My 12FLV in .223, however, with the PTG Bolt head, is dropping cases in the mag well... Even with big balls! It is also not smoothly gripping the base of the cartridge.... When I close the bolt with a case in there, I have to slam it shut to get it over the rim...

Any Ideas?

dcloco
    You are using a bolthead from a 30/06 for a 223? Different size of casehead.

No... separate heads... I was trying to explain that the problem is isolated to the 223 head... Sorry for the confusion...

dcloco
    Using a 223 case head sized extractor? Does the extractor slide in the bolthead easily?

It does now, without the ball and spring in, but not like the factory one did... I tried the 1/8" ball and that did nothing to help.

By "does now", I mean I had to use a little lapping paste and work it through to get it smooth, but still not working correnctly...

thomae
    There may be some crud under the extractor or in the grooves that keep it from moving perhaps?
    Also is the bolt head installed 180 degrees out? (No, I don't think you are stupid, but it's a mistake we have all made at one time or another.)

Merry Christmas

Cleaned and polished the extractor and channel, no change even though it is moving better, still need to slam it shut to get it over rim...

It is also, definitely in the right direction, and it pulls the case in the right direction, but before it gets to the ejection port it pops out of the bolt head.

Quote Originally Posted by Digduggy View Post
    It does now, without the ball and spring in, but not like the factory one did... I tried the 1/8" ball and that did nothing to help.

The factory one is smooth. The PTG isn't. Since we don't have a reference such as a picture, what do you see that is different? What dimensions that are relevant are smaller than the original? Is the spring detent hole in the same location as the original?

Sadly, I do not have the original to compare... I am wondering if the dimensions are off a smidge because it is not holding the case as the factory head did, as if too much slop in bolt face

I bet PTG would help if you don't get it worked out.

Called them... no return info yet... Their customer support has not been great so far... We will see how it goes on this one

Well... I finally chased em down, they sent me a non qc'd part... So mine was not finished properly... But they have a new one on the way...