Thread: Got my new barrel on.

44magleo

Got my new barrel on.

I've been wanting a 250 Savage for a long time. Midway had a pretty good price on the ER Shaw 250 Savage barrels. $127. So I ordered one and the wrench for the barrel nut. The wrench set was two wrenches, the one with two holes, square notches, round notches. The second wrench was for the smooth nuts.
    Anyway, It took me awhile to find a short action Savage rifle locally at a good price. Gander Mountain has a lot of used rifles online. Found a Model 11 in 243. The price seemed ok. $349. It has the plastic stock with DBM. A set of scope bases.
    I built an action wrench out of a good looking 2x4 I had around. Didn't hold up. Built a second out of hardwood. It didn't work well either.
    So I got a length of steel 1/4 inch thick x 1.5 wide to reinforce the clamping part of my wrench. I cut a section of the steel out for a place to lock the lug into. With some stronger bolts and a piece of leather from an old belt it locked up tight and I got the nut loose.
    The threads in the action, the threads on the barrel and in the nut were in good shape, not mangled as some have found.
    With a bit of carb cleaner I cleaned the threads and a bit of anti-seize, threaded the new ER Shaw 250 savage barrel into my action.
    Used a factory cartridge to set head space. Screwed the barrel in till contact was made with cartridge. I then work the bolt to assess the feel of the bolt closing on the cartridge. With a bit of adjusting I got the bolt to close smoothly on the case with out to much pressure. I then did the scotch tape trick on the case head to add .003 to the case. The bolt would not close on the case with the tape.
    I then torqued the barrel nut to 35 ft/lbs.
    I then retested the cartridge for fit, with and with out the tape. Case fit great, bolt won't close on the tape.
    That's all I have done so far.
    Not counting the tools I bought I have $476 invested. Another $112 for Leupold M7 4 power scope.
    I'll shoot it with the plastic stock to see how it shoots, then start shopping for a wood stock. I really like the look of the Boyds Classic laminated in the Nutmeg I put on the Stevens 200 270 Win.
    May go with the same stock for the 250 savage but in the Forest Camo or Pepper.
    No pics yet, It just looks like a plain old rifle.
    Thanks for listening.
    Leo

Basic Member
    I have a 25-06 that is a great shooter or I would be going down the route you are. Good luck. I have 2 boyds stocks - a thumbhole and a classic. and like you I really like them. when compared to other stocks on the market they are a great buy.