I've been talking about building this gun for a while and I finally got around to doing it. The goal was to build a bolt action pistol to compete in rifle matches which would require fast follow up shots. Accuracy with the pistols is never an issue; they shoot as well as any rifle. Follow up shots are a little slower though because I run most of them as single shots. The idea was to build an SP which could run a 5 or 10 round box mag to make for quicker follow ups and reloads.

Here are the specs:
- Savage Left hand action
- 19" McGowen Varmint contour 1-8" twist 260 Rem barrel
- McRee Precision stock
- MDT polymer AI compatible magazine
- Killer Innovations muzzle brake
- Sightron S III 8-32x56 LRMOA scope

Total cost to build was about $800 without the scope.

Somebody asked me to try the polymer magazine so I picked one up. For less than half the cost of an Accurate mags of AI mag I think it works pretty well. I did need to sand down the corners a little so that it fit into the stock a little better though.

I took it out today and test fired it a few times to see how well the brake works. I don't typically like muzzle brakes and this caliber doesn't really need one. The problem with these guns though is that the muzzle jumps quite a bit when shooting off of a bipod, making it hard to stay on target. I installed one of the Killer Innovations brakes on both this 260 pistol and my beloved 284 Win Striker. I've only fired 5 shots out of the 260 and 3 shots from the 284 so far to test them. The results are very impressive so far. The bipods hardly leave the ground at all. I may actually be able to spot my own hits as close as 150-200 yards with the brakes on there. :tup:

It will be a few weeks before I get out to work up a load and really stretch it out a bit. I'll try and get some video with and with out the brake to give an idea of how the gun handles.

Andrew