Thread: McGowen, Krieger or Criterion barrel for a model 10 build...

Stecz20

McGowen, Krieger or Criterion barrel for a model 10 build...

Building a model 10' nothing special, 26 inch heavy bull barrel fluted with a threaded end..... Plan on a jp break, choate tactical stock, not sure of bi pod yet.... Leupold lr/t 10x40..... My question to you guys is who do you suggest for a barrel.. I've never had a custom barrel done before.... Do you guys have any experience with these guys?

I did my first build with a Criterion and Ive been extremely pleased. I built a 280AI and Ive had several groups in the .3s with very little load development. Jim @ NSS is great to deal with. I had to wait about 20 weeks but depending on what you're wanting he may have it in stock. I have a McGowen on the way from Jim @ Apache gun works and cant wait to try it out. I would recommend talking to him before you order also. They're all good barrels so I dont think you'll be disappointed with any of them. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Scooter

Krieger, if things have not changed, do not do prefits. With cost of barrel & threading & chambering is going to cost twice as much as McGowen, Criterion, Shilen.

Criterion is a sister company of Krieger. Them or Mcgowen are great barrels.

Stecz20
    Have emails out to everyone.... Mcgowen got back to me in less than 24 hours.... I like that....

McGowen, Krieger or Criterion barrel for a model 10 build...

You can't go wrong with either Jim at Northland (Criterion) or Dennis at McGowen Outlet. Both stand-up guys. Both great products. Order one from each lol.
    ETA- if you want to get in touch with Jim, phone is the best way. Leave a message if necessary, he will call you back.

Stecz20
    Decided to go with McGowen.... Dan has gotten back to me within hours of each email and they seem they can do everything I need... Pretty excited for this build... I have the donor action off the model 10 coming after the holidays.. Found a rifle that has never been fired for a very good price.. Merry Christmas to me.... Been a tough year so, I thought would treat myself.... Merry Christmas guys...

You wont go wrong with McGowen and you wont have to wait until this summer to get your barrel either.

Dan called me when my 6.5 Creedmoor barrel was ready, so that I could pay for shipping. They gave me an estimate of ~ 16 weeks to complete the barrel, and it took fourteen weeks for it to arrive at my front door.