Thread: McGowan Precision Barrels

John Wyczalek

McGowan Precision Barrels

Some time ago I started researching where to get a custom barrel made. For several reasons I decided to order a McGowan Barrel for a 6mmBR build. I heard many good things about McGowan, but saw a few negative remarks. I now have first hand experience and would like to pass it on.
    Ordering was pretty easy. McGowan estimated 16 weeks. A month after placing the order, I made a change. McGowan did that immediately and confirmed it. After 12 or 13 weeks, the new barrel arrived. It looked great. The bore looked perfect, hand lapped to perfection far as I could see. Nice crown, barrel threads cut well, nice flutes, and polished beautifully. The nice touch was the barrel was stamped 6mmBR (8) McGowan Precision Barrels. I measured the chamber with small hole gauges and micrometers. It measured well and I was really looking forward to getting this together. I assembled it on a Savage Target Action, setting the headspace. I was pleased to see the stamp on the barrel faced up and inline with the stamp on the action. Nice detail. I also saw some time ago on a forum somewhere a negative comment was made about the barrel threads being too tight. At first this appeared to be the case. I had cleaned the barrel before assembly. When it seemed tight, I stopped and recleaned the threads in the action. It then screwed together fine. The build went well.
    My first trip to the range was encouraging. I am still tuning my loads, but I can say the rifle can shoot. Everyone commented on the rifle and they were impressed with the targets. It consistently shot 7 rounds groups in 7/16". Three shot groups were 1/4". Like I said, I am still tuning. It is much easier to clean than a factory barrel too.
    I am very satisfied with McGowan Barrels and their service. I know there are many good barrel companies out there, but I highly recommend McGowan Precision Barrels.

D.ID
    As far as I can tell based on my own reading they must of had a period of low quality control many years back and I remember being a little apprehensive when I ordered my first one a couple years back. My own experience mirrors yours. Professional well fit, great shooting barrels.
    Money well spent and I would not hesitate at all to deal with mcgowen.

Tokimini
    These are what average sized 5 shot 100 yard groups should look like when you get your loads dialed in for your 8 twist McGowen 6BR barrel. On a good day you should get in the .1s. You might as well sell your other rifles, because you're not going to want to shoot them anymore. All these groups were with 68 gr Barts bullets and 33.6 grains of good old Varget, all shot on the same trip to the range.

Last edited by Tokimini; 12-21-2014 at 11:26 PM.

Basic Member
    Man, all these guys are terrific shots but they keep missing those darn dimes.

Tokimini
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewey7271 View Post
    Man, all these guys are terrific shots but they keep missing those darn dimes.
    LOL Maybe it would be easier with quarters.

Since the center black target is good for windage, I would put a small hole through where the dime then take a magic marker and mark the spot and then move the target up so that the mark showed through the holes. You wouldn't even need the dime after that.

Basic Member
    Knew there was an explanation

Basic Member
    Hmmm... I always put a dime in my pics of good groups so as to cover the "flyers"!

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Hmmm... I always put a dime in my pics of good groups so as to cover the "flyers"!

John Wyczalek
    Nice groups Tokimini.
    LOL! I used to cover fliers with dimes! Not any more!

Tokimini
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    With this rifle flyers are rarely a problem.

Basic Member
    I have one in 6BR also. Very good barrel.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

John Wyczalek

6mmBR Update

With a little bit of tuning, that 6BR is now shooting five shot groups at 100 yards of .240, .263, and consistent .300-.350" using 80 grain bullets. Adjusting the jam made the most difference. I will now work on 107 grain bullets.

Tokimini
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wyczalek View Post
    With a little bit of tuning, that 6BR is now shooting five shot groups at 100 yards of .240, .263, and consistent .300-.350" using 80 grain bullets. Adjusting the jam made the most difference. I will now work on 107 grain bullets.
    Mine doesn't like the Sierra 107s. I've much better luck with 105 grain Hornady Match.

Just picked up a new McGowan Barrel thanks to this thread. I typically have used Criterion but didn't want to deal with the wait times Building another 260 Rem rifle, but this one more of a hunting rifle.

I was looking for a 22" heavy sporter contour barrel, which they didn't have in stock. They were able to cut down a 26" varmint contour barrel down to 22" and flute it for me. Should ship by the end of next week.

Flexibility and customer service was exceptional. If they only had a 20" 308 Win barrel.