Some time ago I started researching where to get a custom barrel made. For several reasons I decided to order a McGowan Barrel for a 6mmBR build. I heard many good things about McGowan, but saw a few negative remarks. I now have first hand experience and would like to pass it on.
Ordering was pretty easy. McGowan estimated 16 weeks. A month after placing the order, I made a change. McGowan did that immediately and confirmed it. After 12 or 13 weeks, the new barrel arrived. It looked great. The bore looked perfect, hand lapped to perfection far as I could see. Nice crown, barrel threads cut well, nice flutes, and polished beautifully. The nice touch was the barrel was stamped 6mmBR (8) McGowan Precision Barrels. I measured the chamber with small hole gauges and micrometers. It measured well and I was really looking forward to getting this together. I assembled it on a Savage Target Action, setting the headspace. I was pleased to see the stamp on the barrel faced up and inline with the stamp on the action. Nice detail. I also saw some time ago on a forum somewhere a negative comment was made about the barrel threads being too tight. At first this appeared to be the case. I had cleaned the barrel before assembly. When it seemed tight, I stopped and recleaned the threads in the action. It then screwed together fine. The build went well.
My first trip to the range was encouraging. I am still tuning my loads, but I can say the rifle can shoot. Everyone commented on the rifle and they were impressed with the targets. It consistently shot 7 rounds groups in 7/16". Three shot groups were 1/4". Like I said, I am still tuning. It is much easier to clean than a factory barrel too.
I am very satisfied with McGowan Barrels and their service. I know there are many good barrel companies out there, but I highly recommend McGowan Precision Barrels.