I have a new Savage FCP HS Precision in .308 WIN. I have had it to the range one for break-in and had an issue with a Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr SMK getting stuck in the lands and coming apart and ending my day early.

I just started reloading and used the Hornady Overall Length Gauge and a Bullet Comparator to measure the exact distances to the lands. I figured I would start my load development with the bullet seated 0.010" off the lands. I can adjust closer/further after I find an appropriate charge weight.

I loaded up a dummy round to these specs and loaded it in my gun. The bolt was noticeably more difficult to close than it is when loading an empty case which was full-length resized to the same dimensions. I certainly wouldn't say it is "hard" to close, but it requires more pressure for sure (both close and open). Is this normal? I am using Lapua brass which I know has a reputation for being a little thicker than some other brands but wouldn't expect a factory barrel to be so tight that the case neck thickness would make a notable difference.

If this is normal I am not all that concerned but wanted to make sure this couldn't indicate a problem I am not thinking of. I guess my only concern is if with the already slightly increased bolt lift will I notice a heavy bolt lift caused by an excessive load.

I'm new to reloading so figured it was best to ask the question but certainly could be hyper-sensitive since I am still getting comfortable with the gun/reloading.