Thread: Coyote turkey calling question

Coyote turkey calling question

Long story short have any of you that hunt had any consistent luck calling in Yotes with a turkey call. The back ground I was hunting last week with my brother I started playing with my turkey call and a tom I didn't know was around answered so I messed with him for 15 minutes or so until I heard my brother shoot. He said the pair of yotes came across him on a mission heading straight for my stand. So was it just that once in a while thing that they will check something out or can you use it with any consistency and did it help that I had a turkey responding? I have never had any luck with rabbit distress calls.

Josh's Yote:

Last edited by tufrthnails; 12-20-2014 at 08:57 PM.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    They prefer to come to turkey calls right before or on Thanksgiving day !
    Actually I do not use turkey calls for coyote hunting, but I have, and many others I know, have called coyotes in while spring turkey hunting.
    So, they do respond to turkey calls.
    If you called in one, try it again.
    Good luck !
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

It works on bobcats too. My old predator hunting buddy had a bobcat land on him while turkey hunting and calling turkeys. He never even knew it was there until it was in the air and he turned to the movement. As he turned, the cat knew he'd been had, and started backpedaling in mid air. Cat landed on my buddy, knocking him to the ground and knocking the wind out of him. He got clawed up somewhat as the cat did a burn out on him trying to get away. We laughed about it much later, but at the time, it was scary as hell, and we had to take him in to Payson to the clinic to get stitches on his back, side and arm. He was battered and bruised but nothing was broken.

When we got home, his wife took one look at him and accused us of getting in a fight in one of the local "watering holes" up there. I told her no, but she should have seen the size of that turkey!
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Basic Member
    I've killed 2 coyotes on separate occasions while turkey hunting and should have killed a third one. They were all doing a sneak attack on the decoys!!!
    The third coyote was 5 yards behind my buddy and his nerves got the best of him before the yote came into a shooting lane !!

Basic Member
    Last year before turkey season I asked the wildlife officer about the legality of going to my turkey hunting spot a few weeks early with a turkey call and a predator rifle. For the last few years when I start turkey calling, the coyotes start coming in and we have no success. All I wanted to do was remove a few yotes and teach the rest not to come to a turkey call. The officer said it was illegal and I would get a ticket, and he is a friend of mine.

Basic Member
    Wonder what state that is??

Not here in Florida it is always coyote season we can call them with whatever we want. Now if you are hunting management land then you got to follow there hunting season, but If you are on Private Property Coyotes are fair game all year long.

Not only Coyote and Bobcats come to a Turkey call Hawks also. About 2 or 3 years ago my youngest Son was calling Turkeys and had one answering him as he was setting against the base of a tree in full Camo. All of a sudden he caught movement out of the corner of his eye and ducked his head and a big Redtail Hawk hit him on the back of his head and the shoulder . He said that hawk didn't make a sound until he was on top of him and he then heard a swishing noise from the wings.

I have had owls come in on me like that, but never hit me!

I have had owls and hawks land in a tree with me but never smack me. That would bring the suck.