Thread: building savage 10 for my wife

Basic Member

building savage 10 for my wife

Hey all,
    I'm looking to buy/build a model 10,11,12,14...etc 7mm-08 or 308 for my wife. She mostly hunts from tree stands. I'm looking to build her a lighter weight rifle in the 7lb range without scope. Doesn't need to be ultralight though. I have decided to stick with either a standard sporter or magnum sporter controur barrel from criterion or shilen. Not sure where to begin with the actions though except to make sure it is an accutrigger model. I know the difference in action screw spacing and such but which models offer me the best option in stocks? I prefer stocks with aluminum bedding blocks as they seem to provide decent accuracy out to 400 yards for me with my other rifles. I don't want to mess with having to bed a rifle but I do know how to inlet rifle barrels and float the tang so that's not an issue.

Look at the one Foxx posted in the Classifieds. It would be the perfect one for you. It is accutrigger, accustock. If it is a hunting rifle just leave the factory barrel on it if you can get 1 MOA out of it until she shoots it out then worry about a "special" Barrel. just my .02!
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tufrthnails View Post
    Look at the one Foxx posted in the Classifieds. It would be the perfect one for you. It is accutrigger, accustock. If it is a hunting rifle just leave the factory barrel on it if you can get 1 MOA out of it until she shoots it out then worry about a "special" Barrel. just my .02!
    I might do it but just in case what model actions get most variety of stocks?

I can't answer that for you I am currently waiting on my first Boyds stock for my 111.
    Edit I am waiting to open my first stock it has arrived for xmas I just can't open it yet
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
    Hey all,
    I'm looking to buy/build a model 10,11,12,14...etc 7mm-08 or 308 for my wife. She mostly hunts from tree stands. I'm looking to build her a lighter weight rifle in the 7lb range without scope. Doesn't need to be ultralight though. I have decided to stick with either a standard sporter or magnum sporter controur barrel from criterion or shilen. Not sure where to begin with the actions though except to make sure it is an accutrigger model. I know the difference in action screw spacing and such but which models offer me the best option in stocks? I prefer stocks with aluminum bedding blocks as they seem to provide decent accuracy out to 400 yards for me with my other rifles. I don't want to mess with having to bed a rifle but I do know how to inlet rifle barrels and float the tang so that's not an issue.
    I have a Savage 11 FCNS in .300 WSM that is <1 MOA (better if I do my part ) @ 200 yards with cheap factory ammo >>> http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...=1st+shortmag; very pleased with it thus far.

Basic Member
    Lets see if i can explain this correctly. 10/110 actions are all the same EXCEPT long/short action (short actions are 2 digit) finishes are different and bolt release positions. There are more stock options for top bolt release than the new trigger guard bolt release.
    Last edited by earl39; 12-26-2014 at 12:17 PM.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    Lets see if i can explain this correctly. 10/110 actions are all the same EXCEPT long/short action (short actions are 2 digit) finishes are different and safety positions. There are more stock options for top safeties than the new trigger guard safety.
    top BOLT REALEASES have more stocks. safeties are all the same.

I have converted Boyds stocks and a factory American Classic stocks that are TOP bolt release to BOTTOM bolt release with no problem. I don't think you can go the other way very well, though.

Personally, for deer hunting out to 500 yards, I don't think there's any advantage to any of the top of the line aftermarket aluminum bedded stocks over the Accustock. A lot of respected members here seem to really like the DuraMaxx for hunting, but they are expensive and not made anymore. Tough to find, and you gotta be quick when they get listed.

Big, you didn't say, but if your wife needs a shorter stock, I'd suggest cutting the Accustock down an inch or more and adding a slip -on pad like Beartooth. Beartooths (about $25) are neoprene and have multiple sized pads that you insert to make them as long or short as you like. Can switch them out in a second, as well. I do that for all my hunting rifles and the ones my wife and I share. I am 6' 3" and really like longer LOP, but when wearing a heavy coat, etc, it's good to be able to be able to remove the pad.

Honestly, as TUFR said, the one I have listed here is exactly what you're asking for, and it would be a good price b/c I got a screamin' deal on it originally.

Basic Member
    Whoops i did say safety didn't I. My bad. Bolt release, bolt release, bolt release. I will change it.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    top BOLT REALEASES have more stocks. safeties are all the same.

I have converted Boyds stocks and a factory American Classic stocks that are TOP bolt release to BOTTOM bolt release with no problem. I don't think you can go the other way very well, though.

Personally, for deer hunting out to 500 yards, I don't think there's any advantage to any of the top of the line aftermarket aluminum bedded stocks over the Accustock. A lot of respected members here seem to really like the DuraMaxx for hunting, but they are expensive and not made anymore. Tough to find, and you gotta be quick when they get listed.

Big, you didn't say, but if your wife needs a shorter stock, I'd suggest cutting the Accustock down an inch or more and adding a slip -on pad like Beartooth. Beartooths (about $25) are neoprene and have multiple sized pads that you insert to make them as long or short as you like. Can switch them out in a second, as well. I do that for all my hunting rifles and the ones my wife and I share. I am 6' 3" and really like longer LOP, but when wearing a heavy coat, etc, it's good to be able to be able to remove the pad.

Honestly, as TUFR said, the one I have listed here is exactly what you're asking for, and it would be a good price b/c I got a screamin' deal on it originally.
    Thanks for the info. I have some thinking to do