Thread: solution to a dilemma

CarolinaShooter

solution to a dilemma

just got my new pro varmint yesterday from boyds. When I eagerly went to put it on my rifle I noticed what appeared to be a crack running from inside the magwell to the front action lug all the to the recoil lug. Now this occured after customer service hours so obviously I have not contacted customer service. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do other than send it back. I also noticed my magazine is almost impossible to take out. What should I do?

I would send it back. If you modify it, it will void your warranty. Really sucks when you look forward to a new stock and it is dead on arrival.

Basic Member
    As for the crack, some of mine have done that after I started relieving them and bedding 'em. I was able to fix it with Crazy glue, reinforcing crews, stables and Accraglass. (Laid drywall screws and staples in the bedding material like re-rod and concrete). However, if mine came from the factory that way, I, out of principal alone I would definitely return for a replacement. It should not be that way, ESPECIALLY if you never intended to bed in the first place.

If you don't want to mess with an exchange, the next option is to apply Crazy glue. It will seep in there, penetrate and lock that sucker up tight. If you also bed it, there's no real worries.

I have no idea about the magazine. Might be that the mag well s painted a little thick and just needs relief with some sanding?

CarolinaShooter
    When I first noticed it I was really hoping it was just a surface scratch but as you can see it goes all the way through.

Basic Member
    It's fairly common occurrence when bedding it. Never heard of one coming from the factory that way, though. It's a bummer, I know. If it were me, knowing what I know from my own experience, and the fact I would bed it anyhow, I wouldn't even think twice about it. ( In that case only), it's a non-issue.

CarolinaShooter
    I had not planned on bedding it, just opening up the channel for my HB. I guess I will contact customer service monday to return it.

Yeah, definitely contact Boyds before doing any other work! Someone else had mentioned that the black Tacticools were made from a weaker laminate than the material used in the regular stocks, and, now that I have one of each to compare, I can see how this would be the case. The black versions appear to be a normal birch plywood whereas Boyds' standard blanks are a material called Strata-Bond. It's still a hardwood laminate, but it seems to feel stronger in thinner sections.

I'm kind of miffed that Boyds didn't put a pillar into the front action screw hole. It seems like cheap insurance against cracking like this, but I suppose it could be difficult to work into production. Still the first thing I did to mine was to drill out an oversized hole in the wood above the front action quasi-pillar and epoxy in a bit of brass pipe.

Basic Member
    The biggest problem is there is just not enough material there. My two pro varmints I'm going to carve out the entire bedding section and put aluminum bedding blocks in. I just can't seem to get to it..... For now I had relieved the area and used fiberglass to reinforce it with the pillars. Both mine are colored laminated stocks, you are on the end of the laminate in a thin area.
    It's a $100 stock, everything else is going to be significantly more money to not have that issue.

CarolinaShooter
    It seems boyd's is closed this week. This is going to tempt me with the crazy glue, I'm not sure I trust myself to try bedding the rifle.

Basic Member
    Bedding isn't difficult, but the first few times can be nerve wracking and can get sloppy. It's a good one to learn on b/c it is easily touched-up with black paint if spillage occurs and you have to sand/grind it off.

One thing you can do is try the glue first. If it doesn't hold, or you feel more brave or inspired later, you might just relieve some wood around the lug and screw area and then bed it there only and reinforce it with screws in the bedding. That would ensure it holds and it would make the stock stronger and possibly better shooter 'cuz the recoil lug would have a stronger, more precise surface to mate to.

Many shooters only bed the lug b/c it is easier and maybe 90% of the benefit

Basic Member
    Its just a WAG, but the lug was probably a tad wider than the mortice causing it to split when the lug was jammed in. I'll be kind and withhold my opinion on that method of securing a recoil lug.

With that , I'd inlet and glue in a brass 10-24/32 threaded screw shank cross way about midway between the action screw hole and mag well, a cross bolt if you will to reenforce it then before jam'm the lug back in open the mortice for lug side to side clearance. If you simply glued it and jammed the lug back in you'll probably be back to where you started.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

CarolinaShooter
    So I've started sanding the barrel channel so I can atleast get my action and heavy barrel in the stock. Well I put the front action screw through the screw hole and there is barely any thread to thread into the action. I realize it's suppose to barely thread but this is less than the factory stock.

I would take BillPa"s advice.
    Last edited by wbm; 12-28-2014 at 12:12 PM.

Basic Member
    Action Screw:

If you can get three good threads to turn into the action, it should be enough. If not, get another screw from the hardware store and cut and/or grind to length. It must be short enough to not interfere with the closing of the bolt, etc. Most of mine are not much longer than that. You will know, though, when you go to seat it into the action. It will either hold good or it won't.

CarolinaShooter
    Thank you all for the advice. I'm still sanding the barrel channel once I get the action to fit then I'll try some of these solutions.

silverbullet4x4
    CarolinaShooter, any updates on progress? Mine just arrived in similar condition and I am also considering pursuing this route to address the issue.