Thread: Need a 35 Whelen fire forming load

Team Savage

Need a 35 Whelen fire forming load

Have several pistol powers.
    Universal clays, bluedot, 800X, power pistol, LIL gun is about all I can think of right now.

Not sure, however, I saw new remington 35 Whelen brass at cabelas the other day. A lot of it.

At the risk of going out on a limb, and this is kind of a stretch, but I would ask forum member "35Whelenshooter"

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Team Savage
    I have new brass...

I have a mauser I just built with a new 35W barrel, and every thing is up to spec, IE headspace, firing pin protrusion but apparently the
    chamber is a bit sloppy and if I use a new piece of brass occasionally I get a FTF. With a primer in the case only, then fire - the firing pin is setting back the shoulder about .013" or so.

I posted the problem on the mauser forum it was said the small shoulder and loose chamber fit was the culprit and the best way to fix the problem would be to fire form the brass then neck size it, then with a better chamber fit, it should resolve the FTF problem.

Basic Member
    Just load the brass and set the bullet into the lands. Load and fire, brass is formed and you can work up a load all at the same time.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Team Savage
    True but I would prefer not to use 50 barnes bullets on fireforming.
    Thats all I have right now but maybe I will pick up some pistol bullets for that.

Also I have never tried the cornmeal method and thought I might try it.

You can use these to fire form, and have fun at the same time.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/214...ProductFinding

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Team Savage
    I already have 300 180 grain speers I use in my 358 Gremlin but they can be hard to find at times, so I dont want to burn those up either.
    Thats the only 358 rifle bullet that works like I want it to in 358 Gremlin so I want to hang on to them.

It is not like you are forming an AI shoulder, all you are doing is very little chamber forming, I can't believe it will have that much effect on accuracy.

Dean

Team Savage
    Not doing it for accuracy. See above.

I know you are not doing this only for accuracy, but most do not want to fire form for that reason, forming with a bullets forms better than with COW, or whatever any day.

Dean

Team Savage
    Thanks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    I have new brass...

I have a mauser I just built with a new 35W barrel, and every thing is up to spec, IE headspace, firing pin protrusion but apparently the
    chamber is a bit sloppy and if I use a new piece of brass occasionally I get a FTF. With a primer in the case only, then fire - the firing pin is setting back the shoulder about .013" or so.

I posted the problem on the mauser forum it was said the small shoulder and loose chamber fit was the culprit and the best way to fix the problem would be to fire form the brass then neck size it, then with a better chamber fit, it should resolve the FTF problem.
    If i read this correct then you have no choice but use a bullet. Firing pin is pushing some brass forward which translates to pushing all brass forward some more than others.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

AASavage
    While I can't specify a powder charge, I can comment on a technique. I have been playing with a 35 Krag for the past few years and fireform 30-40 Krag cases, but I had fireforming headspace problems like you do. I can use a slightly over sized expander button to expand the neck and use a 35 cal neck sizer to form a false shoulder. This properly positioned false shoulder will maintain headspace for fireforming. I don't have any form of a 35 Krag sizing die and I use the neck sizer for all reloading. I don't see why a 35 Whelen sizing die could not be used to perform all of the steps, however, multiple adjustments will be necessary.

I found that a real bullet was required to develop the necessary pressure and I use 0.357 JSP 125 grain pistol bullets with 22 grains of Accurate 1680 (I bought some of this powder for a low price and found this to be a good use for it).

Andy