Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Ammo Mfg for 17WSM

Basic Member

New Ammo Mfg for 17WSM

There is a new mfg of 17WSM ammo. American Eagle brand is selling ammo with an "F" head stamp. It is 20gr ballistic tips with 3000 fps claimed velocity. This is great news for owners of the little 17WSM rifles. It means first that Winchester might have some competition and maybe, there will be ammo that is more consistent and accurate and AVAILABLE!!! Not that mine was that bad before but it is often inconsistent. I just bought a box of the new stuff at my local gun store. Hope to go to the range this weekend to try it out. This also means that we are not hostage to the whims of Winchester. American Eagle is who, Federal? I always have better accuracy with their center fire and 17HMR ammo when compared to Winchester. Who knows, maybe they will get it right.

I mean, try shooting 1/4" 50yd groups with any Winchester 22lr ammo. I cannot, but shoot them all the time with Eley, Lapua, RWS. By any measure most Winchester rimfire ammo is aimed at the lower end of the market spectrum. That don't mean this new stuff is better but it cannot be much worse, lol. And if is IS BETTER??? Whoo Hooo. Time to go to the range.

Irish

MoToad
    No sign of that around here yet.

Basic Member
    American Eagle is made by Federal Cartridge Co., owned by ATK, who also owns Savage...currently the only outfit to make guns in 17WSM.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    American Eagle is made by Federal Cartridge Co., owned by ATK, who also owns Savage...currently the only outfit to make guns in 17WSM.
    Yeah, I just learned that Savage and Federal were both part of the same conglomerate. It made me wonder why Winchester was making the ammo in the first place? I know they have their little rolling block rifle, but...

Now if we could get CZ or Anschutz or Remington on board with another rifle?

Irish

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JG26_Irish View Post
    Yeah, I just learned that Savage and Federal were both part of the same conglomerate. It made me wonder why Winchester was making the ammo in the first place? I know they have their little rolling block rifle, but...

Now if we could get CZ or Anschutz or Remington on board with another rifle?

Irish
    The trade in value of the Savage Bmag would plumet over night.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

Basic Member
    I was told by the top brass at Savage that Winchester would not by any means let the rights to this cartridge be had by any manufacturer in the Freedom Group.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    I was told by the top brass at Savage that Winchester would not by any means let the rights to this cartridge be had by any manufacturer in the Freedom Group.
    Apparently they changed their mind.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

Basic Member
    No they didn't....ATK is not part of the Freedom Group.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster 50 View Post
    The trade in value of the Savage Bmag would plumet over night.

I forgot to add............it already did.......the sorry POS.

Basic Member
    actually Franklin Armory and Volquartsen make a 17 WSM rifle :)

Basic Member
    now to get my hands on some the AE and Hornady ammo :)

rona
    Interesting that with my purchase of the new SS Bmag yesterday he put a box of 25 and 20 grain on the counter and asked if I wanted them too? I said a Xmas gift? Ha Ha Nope 24.99 a box.. This whole thing has gotten out of hand. I can buy 223 cheaper by far and able to reload. Its like you have the word Sucker stamped on your head if you ask about the 17b-Mag. They must not read or see competition like Bass Pro or Cabalas prices.

MoToad
    Finally found some Winchester out my way at Reliable Guns in Vancouver. HE at $20. All US ignore as they don't ship between our fine countries.

Black Hog Down
    I see there is a Hornady branded box of 20 gr ammo now. Is that manufactured/loaded totally by Hornady? Not just the bullet?

rona
    Hornady is supposed to be putting them on the counter sometime early this year. More competition is better.

Basic Member
    I e-mailed Hornady and they are making them

rona
    Its good that you confirmed that they are producing the ammo. So many rumors have floated around it is hard to believe anything anymore. I have a friend who bought one of those 1700.00 B mag autos. Maybe I should sell him some ammo??

Basic Member
    So do you guys really think Hornady has tooled up to manufacture in-house rimfire ammo ? Especially the 17WSM ?
    Meanwhile they are behind on orders for many center-fire calibers. I smell something fishy.....lol.
    More likely.... they supply bullets and powder to someone else...just like the rest of the Hornady rim-fire line and American eagle brand .
    Good stuff ...Hornady....I love it......but not sure I believe it. That's just me

Basic Member
    From another forum........not just me, see post below.

now the good news is that hornady is making wsm ammo, hornady / cci of course, and what better opportunity to capitalize on a market of 99% savage bmags. they have the answer.

when a shell ignites you have to consider the ignition rate. Winchesters wsm ignition predated savages bmag barrel. hornady's wont - they'll dominate the market. the ignition of the shell can be, how do I put this without a picture, multiphased or bimodal distributed. it happens so fast a bimodal ignition wont matter, except for that frequency. tingggg. their ammo will cancel out that standing wave. hornady is positioned to dominate the wsm market, until Winchester weighs their lost revenue against redevelopment of their wsm powder ignition rates.

its all a cleverly played game of chess. hornady/cci always had a solution, but to introduce it too early would shorten the grievances of Winchester customers. holding back a few yearly quarters on the solution ammo promotes deep brand recognition benefiting hornady, not just for the wsm but other calipers as well.

think about it. what company dominates 17 caliper rimfire ammo? hornady/cci with the hmr. they rule the 17 caliper research and development. check mate.

Basic Member
    More food for thought at,
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...9/index37.html info at

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsperaz View Post
    From another forum........not just me, see post below.

now the good news is that hornady is making wsm ammo, hornady / cci of course, and what better opportunity to capitalize on a market of 99% savage bmags. they have the answer.

when a shell ignites you have to consider the ignition rate. Winchesters wsm ignition predated savages bmag barrel. hornady's wont - they'll dominate the market. the ignition of the shell can be, how do I put this without a picture, multiphased or bimodal distributed. it happens so fast a bimodal ignition wont matter, except for that frequency. tingggg. their ammo will cancel out that standing wave. hornady is positioned to dominate the wsm market, until Winchester weighs their lost revenue against redevelopment of their wsm powder ignition rates.

its all a cleverly played game of chess. hornady/cci always had a solution, but to introduce it too early would shorten the grievances of Winchester customers. holding back a few yearly quarters on the solution ammo promotes deep brand recognition benefiting hornady, not just for the wsm but other calipers as well.

think about it. what company dominates 17 caliper rimfire ammo? hornady/cci with the hmr. they rule the 17 caliper research and development. check mate.

Not arguing your point but I have 3 different 17hmr's and they all shoot their best with Remington ammo, not Hornady.

Basic Member
    I guess they are all different, my 17 Hmr (sorry Marlin) is a tack driver with Hornady and does not care for Remington or Winchester

lost my e-mail but from a earlier post I made on the 17 WSM

No, this is not Winchester ammo in a Hornady box. It is our ammunition.

Thank you,
    Hornady Sales Team

Sniper Steve
    I just scored some federal a/e ammo in 20 gr for my hb bmag
    Last edited by Sniper Steve; 01-02-2015 at 07:54 AM.

rona
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper Steve View Post
    I just scored some federal a/e ammo in 30 gr for my hb bmag
    30 grain?? I seen 20 and 25 in Winchester but never heard of 30.

Basic Member
    ???? curious myself, only AE ammo I have seen and have a little of is the 20 grain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast