Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muzzle Brake on Hog Hunter

Basic Member

I'm a big fan of Ross Schuler's brakes, I have two, cheapest you can find too. http://home.comcast.net/~MOA_Shooter...zzleBrakes.htm Mine were timed but you could do it with crush washer too.

http://www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com/ if a friend of Ross's, both work well.

I’m going to try a mercury recoil device before I order a muzzle brake. Guy at the LGS swears by the mercury recoil devices. It gets installed in the stock.
    Gary...Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo

Basic Member
    My 12 year old nephew was able to watch a steel ram at 500 meters fall in the scope on his third shot with my 6.5 creedmoor with a brake. He weighs all of 65 lbs. :) He'd been shooting the steel chickens at 200 meters with his 10/22 and wanted to try my rifle so I dialed the scope for the rams, and told him which one to shoot. He laid down behind the rifle with a bipod and rear bag, lined it up and pulled the trigger. Knocked over the rams with his first two shots as well, just didn't see it fall in the scope till the third one. Maybe that gives you a better idea how effective a brake can be when shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Newsshooter View Post
    My 12 year old nephew was able to watch a steel ram at 500 meters fall in the scope on his third shot with my 6.5 creedmoor with a brake. He weighs all of 65 lbs. :) He'd been shooting the steel chickens at 200 meters with his 10/22 and wanted to try my rifle so I dialed the scope for the rams, and told him which one to shoot. He laid down behind the rifle with a bipod and rear bag, lined it up and pulled the trigger. Knocked over the rams with his first two shots as well, just didn't see it fall in the scope till the third one. Maybe that gives you a better idea how effective a brake can be when shooting.
    I’ve watched a lot of good videos on muzzle breaks and done some reading on them, and I know that properly designed ones can certainly help with recoil, but if I can avoid the extra noise and flying dirt by finding an alternative, it’s worth a shot to try it. If it doesn’t work well enough, then I will get a muzzle brake.

If you watch the video I posted a link to in post #11 of this thread, it will become obvious to anyone that a good muzzle break is worth it’s weight in gold.

I just ordered a B&C Medalist stock today, and the extra weight of that stock will probably help with recoil some.
    Gary...Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo

sbarkowski
    I just finished a .308 Hog Hunter build in an MDT LSS chassis and havn't decided if I am going with a brake or not. As it is I don't find recoil to be an issue. It just seems unfinished without one. Keep us posted on what you end up with and how it performs.

Basic Member
    I didn't put a brake on my rifles for recoil but to help stay on target during recoil, both to see my hits and for quick followup shots when shooting steel under time constraints.

NM2011CTSV
    Has anyone seen the MegaMax brake by Dean in New Zealand? Any feedback on that?

My other option is the M11 severe duty by Precision Armament.

also, any reviews of that? Both on a 300wm?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12