Thread: what's your Aixs .223's favorite ammo?

savage2014

what's your Aixs .223's favorite ammo?

As per title, to save me some money, time and frustration please...

I have only tried 55gr ammo's, mine does not like the FMJ Federal bulk pack.

Thanks

Very good question. I've only tried 55 grain ammo, too (since it's the cheapest I can find). So far I've tried American Eagle, Federal, and Perfecta (all brass FMJ and purchased at Walmart for $.38 - $.42 / round) and don't see much of a difference.

Reeseman
    I don't reload and only shoot factory ammo . I have shot some American Eagle and Remington UMC 55 grain on the cheap side and get 1.5'' to 1.75'' groups at 100 yards . My best groups have been with Hornady V Max 55 grain that are my hunting rounds and get close to 1.0'' groups consistently with it . I don't target shoot with it very often but it is quite accurate for a budget rifle . Much better accuracy than I expected when I bought it .

My best groups so far are about the same 1.5 - 2.0 MOA. I'm still learning how to use this rifle (came from .22lr) but it seems that I'm seeing better accuracy with a cold barrel than after it warms up. I've got a new scope (Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50) which I'm hoping will allow me to tighten up those groups a fair bit.

American Eagle 50gr Tipped....bullet is a 50 Hornady Vmax. Very accurate in my Axis.

Savageguy1987
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    American Eagle 50gr Tipped....bullet is a 50 Hornady Vmax. Very accurate in my Axis.
    Mine likes the American eagle 50gr tipped as well. Mine also liked the white box winchester 45gr jacketed hollow points. The 62gr federal fusions shot about an inch as well

Basic Member
    Prospective new crop of reloaders here! :)
    Factory ammo not meeting your expectations has probably driven more of us to reloading than any other reason that we tell our wives about... (honey it is sooo much cheaper!)
    Seriously though, the low cost 55gr FMJ isn't likely to be your best grouping store bought... going to have to spend the extra dollars to buy it with a better bullet. Good luck!!
    Someday I hope to live the lifestyle that my wife and children enjoy.

Basic Member
    Hornady 50 grain v Max.

For factory ammo, I have shot BrassMax/Perfecta (both are Fiocchi) 55gr FMJ, shoots decent, about 1.5" groups, and are cheap. American Eagle 55gr FMJ was the best @ <1". I also shot Hornady training 55gr SP, not impressed in my rifle anyway, about 3" spread. I also recently tried Fusion 62gr, and again, not too impressed at 2.5" groups, although, the fusion has been reported to be one of the best by others, but it's too expensive to plink with.

I tend to use em all for plinking now though and as a brass source. The axis seems to have a long throat and likes the bullets longer, or at least mine does. Good luck, when you find the ones your rifle likes, they shoot like a lazer and are quite fun.

GTOHunter
    My Axis XP Camo .223 likes the Hornady 55 grain V-max bullets,great groups and flats put the Coyotes down!

I do handload a bit but I've found the Fiocchi stuff loaded with Hornady 50 and (if I remember right) 55 gr V-maxes work reasonably well - shooting just over an inch (about 1.1 to 1.2"). Of course, Hornady's equivalent is better, but not by a lot. As for handloads, I've found that, bar none, the now-discontinued Hornady 53 gr vmax over 27.9 gr IMR 4320 (slightly compressed and requiring a relatively long drop tube) and a Rem 7.5 SRP is unsurpassed in my factory barrel. There may be a better combo but I am not complaining at .75" groups hot, cold, dirty and/or clean.

bighslb

Basic Member
    bighlsb,

I just purchased 300 of the 53 gr V-max to work up a load, and was disappointed to see your post about it being discontinued. I checked the Hornaday website and it is still listed as available, although it is listed out of numerical order and at the bottom of the page. What's the scoop?