Thread: Axis Reassembly

MillerPI2142

Axis Reassembly

Took mine down today for the first time to get acclimated to the process. I put it back together and there is a LITTLE bit of play in the stock- there's a small gap between the stock and the end of the barrel. I can squeeze the stock and bring it up to barrel. I'm pretty sure the recoil lug is in place because I could hear/feel it slide into place when I put the action back into the stock. Any ideas or is this normal?

Basic Member
    Yep. Factory stock is flexible craptastic plastic. This will occur unless stiffened or upgraded.

MillerPI2142
    Thanks. I disassembled and reassembled a few times since the original post because I was going nuts and a little worried. I feel better now. Guess I should upgrade to a Boyds wood stock eventually, huh?

Basic Member
    I would. Did my first build on an Axis Action and went with SSS for a stock choice.

MillerPI2142
    I'll look into that. Did that completely fix the "play" between barrel and stock? I've experimented with adjusting the screws on mine but that doesn't seem to help much either.

Basic Member
    I rebarreled to a 26" Varmint. In some cases a little sanding to open the channel was needed, but depends on the current inlet and barrel combinations when ordered. So in other words yes a laminate stock is many times stiffer than the factory plastic once the channel is opened up if needed for proper free float.

Basic Member
    Your barrel is "free floated"........you "should" be able slide a piece of paper between the stock and the barrel all the way up to the recoil lug, without the barrel touching the stock.

This will also be the case if you buy an aftermarket stock, no matter how much you pay for it.

Good Luck......Good Shooting......Jim

phantom_geo
    Yep the gap is intentional and the stock is flimsy. Depending on what you are using the rifle for would dictate what you want to do with the stock. I am using mine to hunt and am not going to worry about being a little rough on it. I think the stock is good enough for hunting purposes. I was bored one day and used rods and epoxy to stiffen mine up on my 30-06. I am a pretty simple man looking for simple and cost efficient guns and equipment. Yep I'm one of those guys that doesn't have to have the best, newest etc.