Thread: Long action rechambering to .243

Basic Member

Long action rechambering to .243

Will I have any difficulty with this swap. Currently an older Model 110 in .30-06, swapping to a factory contour .243. Any issues with stripping the rounds out of the magazine or any spacers in there that I will need? Just want to maintain the reliability I currently know.

Thanks folks.

Basic Member
    I have done this exact same thing on 2 guns. I ended up putting single shot sleds in both of them. I didn't need to on one of them, the other I was single shot all the time anyway. Wish I could give you some guidance on why one worked fairly well and the other failed miserably, but I cannot. I am going to assume it was the magazine spring that was causing the issue. But, not 100% sure on that.

Basic Member
    Yeah, thanks for the input. It seems (after reading a little on the board) that for the MOST part it should work no problem. With only a few isolated cases of the SA cartridge being a little fussy in the LA action. We will see after this white tail season goes out and I start my build with one of the numrich lefty walnut stocks and a few other goodies.

Basic Member
    Best of luck. I hope it works perfectly for you.

Basic Member
    When I did that swap on an Axis, I had to be careful while loading the mag and place the cartridges toward the front of the mag or I would have misfeeds. If a cartridge was placed at the rear of the mag and another cartridge placed on top of it farther forward, the top cartridge would nose dive and fail to feed.

Basic Member
    I noticed that happening with empty cases when "dry cycling" it. I assumed it was because there was no bullet to guide the round. We shall see...

Team Savage
    I had no problems 2 days ago with my 243 long action. First time out with it.

Bearguide444
    Are guys using a DBM or are you using blind mag? I'm thinking of doing the same thing but wondering about if the way its feed weather a mag or blind mag works better

ironworkerwill
    I have built SA cartridges on LA receivers. The usual problem I had was short stroking the rounds. They usually feed fine, I just couldn't make myself pull the bolt all the way back. I'm used to short actions I suppose.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearguide444 View Post
    Are guys using a DBM or are you using blind mag? I'm thinking of doing the same thing but wondering about if the way its feed weather a mag or blind mag works better

I am using both. The internal center feed is a bit harder to load properly. The DBM is easier because you have it out of the rifle. The internal is a .22-250 on a receiver that was a 7-08 from the factory and the DBM is a .243 that was a .270 from the factory.

Basic Member
    This is off topic here, but it's the only way I can stay in. "HAVE WE BEEN HACKED"??? Every time I try to go to FORUM I end up on Women's Health or Better Homes $ Gardens :-((

Moderators, please say it ain't so...

Basic Member
    I has the dame problem, but fixed it after deleting all cookies and browsing history.

Basic Member
    Wow ! Thanks LoneWolf !