Friday night i started thinking about the thread that hafejd30 started "140g amax scare"was the title i think...anyway i grabbed a hand full of 142g smk and started measuring random bullets touching the lands and was very supprised by what i found. The measurements were all over the place from 2.275 all the way up to 2.285 over 25 bullet. I took the same bullets and measured the bearing surfaces and separated them and came up with 3 sizes .580 .590 and .593. I then remeasured the length of each bullet touching the lands twice using the hornady tool and heres the results from the 142g SMKs...
Bullets with .580-.582 bearing surface measured 2.276 off ogive
Bullets with .589-.591 bearing surface measured 2.278 off ogive
Bullets with .593-.595 bearing surface measured 2.284 off ogive

I also took 25 139g lapua bullets and was surprised again when all 25 measured .634 bearing surface and all 25 measured 2.307 + or - .001 which ill chalk up to me and the hornady tool which we all know is not perfect.

Its almost like the ogives are different on the smks...im going to call sierra in the morning and ask them about this and see what they say.
Ive also got a few 140g hornady im going to check this week. I always sort bullets by bearing surface and check every round i load off the ogive but ive never check the sorted bullets ogive to lands but i guess im going to start now.

So whats your guys thoughts on this?