Thread: Who has the best reticle?

Who has the best reticle?

I'm totally bored and thinking.......

Who has the best reticle for long range varmint work where dialing in your dope isn't an option. Not only for hold over but for hold off for wind.

Obviously the Leupold Varmint hunters and Nightforce reticles come to mind. Any others?

Basic Member

Re: Who has the best reticle?

The Nightforce NP-R2- 1/2 MOA vertical ticks and 1 MOA lateral ticks.
    Frank

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

joseph

Here is another good one. you can get it MOA or MIL.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Viper...pe-P44560.aspx

http://www.sightwonders.com/wotac.html

http://www.sightwonders.com/falcon.html

Click on the images of the WOTAC & Falcon Menace scopes to see the reticals.

joseph

Uncle Jack

Well, kinda like every other guy, I've always thought that I have the best reticles.

uj

ICUDIEN

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jack
    Well, kinda like every other guy, I've always thought that I have the best reticles.

uj
    LOL!

Basic Member

Valdada-IOR MP-8!

DGD6MM

I have 2 Nightforces R1, R2. I like them but at the risk of being told I'm nuts, but I think the IOR MP-8 is better. I learned this later then sooner. :D

You might take a look at Hollands ART, I don't have one but see it getting good reviews.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Good stuff so far! Anyone got any suggestions for optics that aren't so darned pricey!

Basic Member

Horus Predator. No more clicking, lots more hitting.

Used one on two PD trips so far, ordering another, my PD partner has 2 as well.

Don - LongRangeSupply

Zeiss has some decent ones on their Conquest series, 600 / 800 / 1000 yard depending on the model.

I prefer the Nightforce NP-R1 which has 1 MOA on the vertical line vs. 2 MOA on the NP-R2, not 1/2 MOA as noted above.

The center dot on the MP8 is too big. It needs to be 1/8 MOA or even smaller.

I find the Horus reticles way to obtrusive but they definitely do provide a wide range of hold points.

The new reticles on the Vortex PST look good but I haven't seen one in person.

Zeiss Rapid Z 1000

[img width=514 height=450]http://www.vision.zeiss.com/C12568CF00206298/GraphikTitelIntern/rz1000_lg/$File/rz1000_lg.gif[/img]

DGD6MM

That Vortex Viper PST looks promising.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Too many Savages, is that possible?
    I find the Horus reticles way to obtrusive but they definitely do provide a wide range of hold points.
    Common comment/complaint, I don't get it, I've used them. Varmint shooting rarely ever go above 10x-12x, even at long ranges 16x is rare. Grid line width is not an issue for me at normal shooting power settings.

Crank to 20x-26x to range, dial back to shoot, because after all if you don't see the impact point the grid is only getting 1/2 of its potential use.

Call me dumb but I fail to see how a grid system in the normal focal plane (changes size relative to target on zoom) vs. grid in the first focal plane (stays same size relative to target on zoom) does anything but complicate things.

Once you memorize your (correct) range card in in/100yd or mils its brain-dead easy to get hit after hit where you normally have to fiddle-fart around, break out the slide rule, fry brain cells, and then forget clicks.

First trip this year we were making first shot hits in 30 MPH winds beyond 500 yds.

Only thing I'd like to see is a very fine line ranging L grid or 4 sub-grid lines added to the vertical on the Predator, after all a 6" tall target is difficult to range properly at 600+ yds.

Basic Member

Wow, first shot hits at 500+ in 30mph winds,now that is impressive!! Not sure why the dot in the MP-8 is too big. I have used it to 700yds and it seems to be just fine. I am guessing my NP-2DD will be much better dot wise.

Don - LongRangeSupply

Quote Originally Posted by 319
    Wow, first shot hits at 500+ in 30mph winds,now that is impressive!! Not sure why the dot in the MP-8 is too big. I have used it to 700yds and it seems to be just fine. I am guessing my NP-2DD will be much better dot wise.
    It covers too much of the target when shooting at smaller targets. A smaller dot at least for me helps me shoot smaller groups plus allows more precise holdover on small targets such as ground squirrels. The dot on the MP8 I had for a while almost covers a ground squirrel at longer distances.

Basic Member

Steady, non-switching winds are a blessing, even if they are high.

Of course last trip winds were all over the place, never the same speed or direction for more than 30 seconds.
    Ain't nothing but pure effing magic gonna help under those conditions.

Yes, the Horus Predator grid *is* obtrusive *if* you crank the zoom past 20x-22x or so, but the reality is, most of the time at longer ranges your aim point is at a point in between grid lines and you are using 14x or below.

Avg. standing dog is one grid value tall at 1200 yds, a dog on the ground eating is one grid tall at 600.
    Ranging is (theoretically) simple- (Object height or width in inches X 100)/ number of reticle ticks = distance in yds, regardless of scope power (grid and target stay same size relative).

In practical application it isn't quite that easy, as dogs are of varying maturity and size, and so damn small at distance. But its still loads better than trying to figure it out w/o a grid. First trip threw the Sightron 36x target scope on the long range gun, couldn't dope size, distance, wind, or hit squat except point blank range, or see other targets worth a damn- mirage was terrible, and forgot clicks faster than a politician forgets campaign promises. Didn't work at all for PD application. Put it away and shot the snot out of the 'short range' gun with the Horus, the tool is much better suited to the job.

Basic Member

What is the size of the dot on the MP-8? I looked in my manual, and it didn't say. I would be happy with a 500yd 3-4th try hit, can't imagine hitting on on the first try at that range in a wind!! Gives me a good excuse to practice more

Basic Member

To answer my own question, the MP-8 dot is .25 moa and the dot in my NF NP-2DD is .18 with the lower dot being .125

I have the same problem some of you have, I am always looking for that perfect scope The best yet is the old monarch ucc 6.5-20 . I have a sightron II big sky 6-24 and just sold a 4500 6-24. I would like to find a scope with the ziess type z plex varmint rectical and 3" of eye relief that is in the $500-600 price range. I think that Nikon has circles on the brain and they push and push there bbc rectical it is not it for the long range varmint hunter. I wish sightron came out with a SIII with the varmint hunter in mind. if you have a hold over rectical why have target turrets ?

Quickshot

Wow! Has everybody overlooked my favorite, the Burris Balisti-Plex. Not too busy for varmint shooting out to 300 or so. With my .223 loads the marks work out out very well. I have a Lupey w/varmint hunter reticle and have yet to build a load to work with reticle. Quick

Reticle like everything else in our sport is subjective. What works for me probably won't work for you.Personally I like the mil dot or fine crosshair and 1/8moa dot for my bench rifles and for my hunting rifles I prefer a fine to medium duplex. I don't care for the BDC style.
    I try to sight the hunting rifles at 1/2" high at 100 and keep all my hunting shots no longer than 150 yards so with this setting my POA is dead on.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member

After shooting PDs and milk jugs last weekend from 500 to 910yds(lasered) I am convinced the MP-8 is top dog. I could still see dog outside the dot and the milk jugs were plenty big. First time I have shot at these ranges, and the wind played havoc with shots, but it was a blast!