Thread: Barrel Cooling and Accuracy

Team Savage

Barrel Cooling and Accuracy

How much does letting a barrel cool down between shots improve group size. I always seem to have a flyer or 2 in every group. Today I took more time between shots and my groups tightened up SIGNIFICANTLY.
    Not sure if this was entirely due to waiting between shots. So my questing is how much can a group size improve by waiting a minute or 2 between shots vs quick follow up (assuming no change in wind/enviornmentals)?

Thx

Basic Member
    Depending on the barrel it can make a huge difference.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

D.ID
    Yep, depends on the barrel.
    My thin barrels are allot more effected. Presumably do to a faster heat transfer or perhaps just less rigidity in general.
    That being said, I do not think it's fair to rapid fire a sporter barrel and claim that: that is the limit of it's accuracy because a two minute break between shots radically changes the equation.

Team Savage
    Thanks for the feedback. I am new to rifle shooting and frankly was getting a little discouraged but today was a real eyeopener. Shot my best groups ever today with the best of .27 MOA. Need to get back to the range and see if I can duplicate the results. FWIW was shooting Savage 12 6.5 CM with Hornady Match factory ammo. Custom Barrel 26" varmint contour.

Several other variables involved but the major change was waiting between shots using the same factory ammo if I have used in the past.

Basic Member
    Another possible benefit to wait a spell between shots is you slow down. A person takes their time and settles into their shooting position takes better aim and exercises better trigger control as the process of shooting slows down. As always I could be completely wrong.

Hallbilly
    Fully agree with olddav.

How much your groups will shrink will vary from barrel to barrel. But for factory barrels, especially sporter contour barrels, and extra especially sporter contour barrels shooting magnum rounds, the importance of cooling between shots cannot be overemphasized.

Basic Member
    Yep. Follow-up shots from my A-bolt 30-06 with sporter contour will walk right off the paper after 2 shots.

#3, 4, 5 will all be an inch or more right of the previous shot if I don't wait a good 2-3 minutes between shots. Fortunately, that's not a problem in practical, real-life hunting situations. Or, I should say, I hope it never coms to that. :)

Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    How much your groups will shrink will vary from barrel to barrel. But for factory barrels, especially sporter contour barrels, and extra especially sporter contour barrels shooting magnum rounds, the importance of cooling between shots cannot be overemphasized.
    +1, sooooo true.