Thread: school me

Twentynineva

school me

Thinking of changing my 223 axis to. A 204. I think I need a go gauge a barrel nut wrench and any barrel that's short shank savage correct? The bolt and mag will be fine as is and should not have any feeding or extraction issues?

You'll also need something to hold the receiver or barrel during the operation, obviously, but 204 Ruger looks like it should be an easy swap for 223 Remington. Oh, and a breaking bar might come in handy when loosening up the factory-installed barrel nut. They can be torqued on pretty tightly.

Twentynineva
    Thanks. I planned on notching out some wooden blocks and using my bench vise to hold the barrel. I have heard of some people heating the nut if it's really tight so I will go that route if I can not break it loose with a dead blow hammer.

Basic Member
    I have done 2 barrels so far with the Action Wrench from NSS and some pressure and both released without to much issue. In hindsight I should have a added some Kroil to the threads especially on the Stainless steel because their was some galling when taking it off.

HAMPS
    FYI...Jim at NSS said to use anti-seize for assembly on threads/nut.

Basic Member
    I use an action wrench rather than a vise. Two rifles have been so tight that I couldn't get the barrel nut loose. The first I took to my gunsmith and he couldn't get it off either. He finally called a pipe fitter friend who got it off. I have had no issues since buying the action wrench. My method of removal is to fit the action wrench to the receiver and then place the barrel nut wrench on in such a way that I can stand on the handle of the action wrench and have the barrel nut wrench angled slightly off the floor. I transfer my weight to the barrel nut wrench and the nut pops loose.
    Last edited by LHitchcox; 01-12-2015 at 09:33 AM. Reason: typo

I also use the action wrench, but I'll put the handle in the round stock jaws of my vise. Then I can loosen the barrel nut with its wrench and a breaker bar.