Thread: peice together or buy complete

dirtfloorfab

peice together or buy complete

have an oppurtunity to buy a 111 action in 300wm that is stripped bare nothing in it. are the parts availability and reasonbly priced enough to build it from a bare frame. my theory is im wanting to get a aftermarket stock and barrel anyways so i might as well build its from scratch but i havent found much for oem parts. what are some questions i should ask the seller?
    thanks in advance zeth

Basic Member
    Zeth, take your time reading a lot of the forum topics here and pay close attention to what these guys have to say. You will see guys names over and over and you will see who you can ignore and those that you can take what they say to the bank. Read the build topics and then go to the parts classifieds and rifles for sale and soon you will start to get a handle on what will be the best for your needs. I have bought new Savage rifles, used Savage rifles and bought some to use as donor rifles to build others. You will learn a lot on this forum keeping and open mind and paying attention to the good advice you will get here.
    Good luck,
    Trapper

Basic Member
    Also, I strongly suggest you get a paid membership so as to have access to the technical articles and classifieds. You will learn a ton and have access to great deals from trustworthy members.

Team Savage
    IMO, It would be a PITA and cost more than buying a complete used action. Midway USA list some of the parts you will need. You can also check out parts pricing if you have the serial number from the bare action. Go to the Savage Arms web page and look under the "Store" tab and parts finder tab. Problem is Savage won't sell some of the parts to you unless you are a gunsmith. Therefore, it would be cheaper and easier to just buy a complete action. My recommendation is to become a paid member on this site. Then you would have access to the classified ads. You will find some good deals on complete actions for sell by members almost weekly. Or, look for a good deal on a use Savage rifle at your local pawn shop. Part it out and sell what you don't need in the site classified's. Use the cash to build what you want.

D.ID
    Of course it can be done but probably more trouble than it's worth.
    Primary reason for thinking that is it begs the question, what happened to the bolt? How much stress was transfered to the action when whatever happened took place?
    You do not usually encounter a bolt action receiver without a bolt so I would be very cautious or even skeptical.

Check receiver for straightness, it is possible that receiver got bent when barrel was removed, if done incorrectly. Parts to build would be in $200 to $300 range just to get action serviceable.

do it the right way
    buy a complete rifle and then take it apart into pieces and then upgrade every piece and then put together as a whole rifle :-)

dirtfloorfab
    think ill take your guys advise and buy atleast an assembled action. gunna go ahead and get a paid membership probably have to mail it tho my paypal has been down since i switched bank's havent dealt with it since

The biggest issue with an "is it worth it" question is our opinions differ.

Money aside, some don't want to fool with wrenching, or paying to have done, on anything.

Savage's are famous for having quirks, generally not a deal-breaker, but are you interested in addressing them, or do you want someone else to? That will be a significant cost difference, may or may not be an issue for you.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

dirtfloorfab
    im a diesel mechanic do all my own work ive recently put together an ar from stripped receivers so a bolt gun should be cake

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtfloorfab View Post
    im a diesel mechanic do all my own work ive recently put together an ar from stripped receivers so a bolt gun should be cake
    I think he meant the bolt. :)

Scrounging around to get all that together and Hoping you have the right parts isn't what most people would call fun . You might be capable but in the end who cares? :) there's a lot more good stuff to put time and energy into. Kinda like building and restoring g your own car.... would you really take the time and effort to build your own muffler? Maybe. :)