Thread: Advice from experts needed!

maxwell333

Advice from experts needed!

Ok, this may be one of the most stupid questions ever asked on this forum but I realy would like some input. I bought a 308 Model 11 VT (I know, lots of people don't like Dick's but it was less than $450 with the card deal!) and planned to turn it into a long range (600 to 800) target rifle. I planned to get a new scope, rings, stock and bedding. However, after doing just the scope and rings the rifle shoots <.50 MOA consistantly at 100 yds. and .75 MOA at 300 yards!! This is with the plastic stock and without any bedding!!

So now I can'r decide if I should change anything or not? If I get a good stock and do the beddeing can I expect "better" accuracy OR consistancy or should I just be happy where it is? Anyone have any experiences like this that can shed some light? Thanks in advance for any ideas....

D.ID
    No expert but..........As a general rule (not model specific): will a good stock improve it? Yes.
    It does ok now should I mess with it? Depends on you, if it already exceeds your hopes: count your blessing and be happy.
    If you want to make it as accurate as it can be: continue with your plan to upgrade.
    If you do your upgrades correctly I would expect the end result to cut your groups in half but there is only one way to find out for sure. I can not (and no one can) guarantee anything more specific except it will not make it worse if it's done right..
    You'll never get "all she's got" in mass assembly, It's not even theoretically possible so can it be improved? YES.
    Does it need it??????? You tell us.

Team Savage
    Sounds like you already have a shooter out of the box. Are those groups with factory ammo? I would not change a thing unless you can't live with the factory stock. But you won't know until you do it.

If the only upgrade you are planning at this moment is a stock upgrade, go for it. It really should help all around, but bare minimum should aide in consistency and steadiness on a rest or bipod. If it hurts for someway and you can't figure it out you can always put the factory "Tupperware" back on it.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

An aftermarket stock will be nice. Tweak or replace the trigger, put good glass on it, and you should have one heck of a shooter.

3 of my Savages, they shoot just like yours out of the box. I bedded the stock, tweaked the trigger, and I can shoot medium cloverleafs anytime I want @ 100 yards.

I'm sorry, my VLD 22-250, I put a Rifle Basix trigger on it, nothing else, probably is the most accurate rifle I have.

I want to sell a few of them, but every time I look at them, I cannot bear the thought of boxing them up!

PS: One of the highest F T/R 600 yard scores I have ever shot was with a stock FCP 308 using factory ammo.