Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reducing stock flex

blink

reducing stock flex

i've been searching for an hour now and can't seem to find any posts with pics on modifications to reduce the flex in the stock,both fore stock and grip.i saw a post once on the subject once i'm sure.

Basic Member
    Get a new stock

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blink View Post
    i've been searching for an hour now and can't seem to find any posts with pics on modifications to reduce the flex in the stock,both fore stock and grip.i saw a post once on the subject once i'm sure.
    I was going to try and put old carbon or aluminum arrows in it and epoxy it to the stock to stiffen the forend. only other way I see I get a boyds stock.

savagemann
    Quote Originally Posted by blink View Post
    This is the thread you are looking for.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...e-Easy-Take-II

blink
    YES,that's it.
    thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by savagemann View Post
    This is the thread you are looking for.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...e-Easy-Take-II

I've been saying this for years but apparently everyone prefers to learn the hard way...

Save your time and money and just spend the $100 on a Boyds laminate stock. No matter what you do or how much effort and time you put into it, you're never going to eliminate all the flex in the factory stock.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Agreed. You can spend hours and $ working on a stock and you'll still not be satisfied.

+1 on the boyds I am thoroughly satisfied with mine.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

I love my Boyd's stock. I haven't fired it yet, but it's gorgeous, and feels just right. I'm so glad I didn't waste time farting around with the factory stock...

You know what I like best about people? Their dogs.

I don't know. Farting around is half the fun. The epoxy/fiberglass layup I did on the forend of mine helped quite a bit. I don't know if pre-stressing it from the inside with allthread and some nuts was to any positive effect, but it did add a bit of mass. I suspect that if I was better with fiberglass, it would have been even better. I had designs on wrapping the wrist in a few layers but couldn't work out the geometry.

I did eventually upgrade to a Boyds stock, but only because I was putting on a varmint barrel. Actually the Boyds stock also needed some farting around with owing to that goofy finger groove and the cheekpiece.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Yeah, I gotta go with Doc on that.
    I didn't consider it farting around when I farted around with my Axis stocks. Back then the Boyd's custom chewed 4x4's they sell weren't available so every little bit helped.
    My primary complaint was the up & down flex when using a bipod. It was OK if the hog was on a pogo stick and I followed his movement in the scope. Adding rods or ANY reinforcement will help a little. You'll never get rid of the twisting flex, though.

Have a go of it. It'll teach you a little about the rifle by getting into its inner spirit. You may invent a new curse word or two along the way. But most importantly, have fun with it.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Doubletap
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    I don't know. Farting around is half the fun. The epoxy/fiberglass layup I did on the forend of mine helped quite a bit. I don't know if pre-stressing it from the inside with allthread and some nuts was to any positive effect, but it did add a bit of mass. I suspect that if I was better with fiberglass, it would have been even better. I had designs on wrapping the wrist in a few layers but couldn't work out the geometry.

I did eventually upgrade to a Boyds stock, but only because I was putting on a varmint barrel. Actually the Boyds stock also needed some farting around with owing to that goofy finger groove and the cheekpiece.
    I have an Axis with a heavy barrel, does Boyd make stock for it or do you have to cut out the barrel channel to make it work?

Pretty sure I remember just seeing factory barrel channel.
    You know what I like best about people? Their dogs.

Yes, and specifically the lighter factory barrel rather than the heavy factory barrel.

ejk24
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
    I have an Axis with a heavy barrel, does Boyd make stock for it or do you have to cut out the barrel channel to make it work?
    Boyds makes a few stocks for the Axis but they are all for the standard barrel models . The barrel channels can be quite easily opened up with a piece of dowel rod and heavy grit sandpaper wrapped around the dowel rod .

Doubletap
    Just took the stock off my new axis, they now have a diamond pattern in the fore end, must be trying to stop some of the flex, just filled the diamonds with epoxy

The internal reinforcement is now a diamond pattern? That is interesting. Savage must be paying attention.

blink
    i would need to see both sides of the boys stocks,i see most have a cheek rest on them,unfortunately,i'm one of the few who shoot left with a right handed rifle.
    would be cool if they could use a right handed action with left handed shooting stock. it would for me then be a "custom" stock.lol

Quote Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
    Just took the stock off my new axis, they now have a diamond pattern in the fore end, must be trying to stop some of the flex, just filled the diamonds with epoxy
    Any chance of before and after pics ?

Anyone ever try pressure (points) bedding?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    Any chance of before and after pics ?

Anyone ever try pressure (points) bedding?
    One guy just recently inadvertantly did that. Caused vertical stringing and fouling. On a thin barrel it might help but i see too many negatives.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterfpga View Post
    One guy just recently inadvertantly did that. Caused vertical stringing and fouling. On a thin barrel it might help but i see too many negatives.
    can you clarify on the causes? vertical stringing and fouling. what is this and what does it do?

Basic Member
    okay say I filled the forearm from the recoil lug to the tip with epoxy and ran a metal rod down the sides to stiffen it up will my accuracy go to crap.

You filled the vacancies in the bottom of the forearm with epoxy? It shouldn't affect it too much if at all. Mostly it just helps to prevent the stock from bending up and touching the rifle if you're shooting from a position that puts a lot of upward pressure on the forearm. Changes in the pressure on the forearm could affect accuracy.

And the bedding problem dealt with bedding a heavy barrel a few inches in front of the recoil lug. Evidently the vibrations of firing cause the barrel to move in such a way that caused problems. Pressure point bedding typically applied pressure towards the forend tip. I suspect it fell out of favor as ammunition options diversified. A limited selection might mean that a given rifle would need to be tuned to a specific load whereas today's shooters can shop around and find a good load for their own particular rifle, which is expected to perform equally well with any load. That last part is just conjecture though.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    You filled the vacancies in the bottom of the forearm with epoxy? It shouldn't affect it too much if at all. Mostly it just helps to prevent the stock from bending up and touching the rifle if you're shooting from a position that puts a lot of upward pressure on the forearm. Changes in the pressure on the forearm could affect accuracy.

And the bedding problem dealt with bedding a heavy barrel a few inches in front of the recoil lug. Evidently the vibrations of firing cause the barrel to move in such a way that caused problems. Pressure point bedding typically applied pressure towards the forend tip. I suspect it fell out of favor as ammunition options diversified. A limited selection might mean that a given rifle would need to be tuned to a specific load whereas today's shooters can shop around and find a good load for their own particular rifle, which is expected to perform equally well with any load. That last part is just conjecture though.

I didnt do the epoxy yet. the gun shoots very well and i want to set it up as a predator rifle which would need a bipod but the forarm flexes too much for that so i figured tighten it up with epoxy to make it more stiff.

Basic Member
    I have yet to see a Tupperware stock touch the barrel just because a bipod was installed. Yes the stock will flex, but only if I grab the barrel and stock and push it over. If a barrel touched any stock of mine I would wrap sand paper around a deep socket and open up the barrel channel until there was no way it could touch.

There has been plenty written here about how to stiffen a Tupperware stock, and a search can easily find it.

But I agree with those who say it is a waste of time and money. The $100 invested in a Boyds stock is well worth it, and many of us up grade further. Once you have experienced an aluminum bedding block, nothing else compares.

There is no lighter stock,"for the money", than the Stevens 200 plastic stock. I keep three of them around for when I want a lite weight walking rifle, and they are plenty accurate for hunting accuracy, flex or not.

When I want to shoot small holes from the bench, I don't even consider a plastic stock.

JMHO here, but anyone who is not willing invest $100 at any point in time, is in the wrong hobby(sport) :-)). Every time I place an order I make sure I get $100 worth of stuff to justify the $15 shipping cost. And I have done that more times than I can remember.

But, if one wants to dabble with a plastic stock, go for it :-))

JMHO ... Good Luck ... Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast