Thread: Big Ole KY doe down with smokepole!

Basic Member

Big Ole KY doe down with smokepole!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hunted a field this morning till 8:45, nothing. I loaded up and went over to a ridge where I had been seeing some does overlooking Lake Cumbeland here in KY, 3-4 same place, every morning 9-9:30 am, bow hunting. The ridge is flat on top, blacktop road, full of mega houses from Ohio folks, some retired here. I have permission to hunt all the areas, seems deer love them expensive shrubs and flowers. I pulled up in a drive way, and got my gear, had my rifle laying across my left arm, walking out on a big ledge, where I could look down about 12 feet lower, was a shelf runs for 1/2 mile, just below the road, and houses, and after that shelf, straight down, about 380yds to the lake, nearly vertical. Deer burn this up, so 3 days ago, I put out a 2 gallon bucket of shelled corn there for the little darlings. I had taken about 10 steps when I stepped on a stick and I immediately heard noise, stopped with my rifle up, and right out from underneath me comes 3 big fat does, they look around, don't see me and keep going towards the corn. I make a "maah" doe bleat, and the big one turns a little, quartering away but shoulder is broadside. I put the crosshair, on the edge of the shoulder, and dropped the hammer. Of course hunting with real black powder, smoke went everywhere, but I saw her drop over the bluff and thought hoo boy! I reloaded, went to where I last saw her, and there was lung blood everywhere. I dropped on down the bank, blood waist high, both sides, pieces of lung, kept going, 200yds later, still a ton of blood, Stevie Wonder could follow this. Then no blood, no deer. I make 50yd loop, nothing, just some leaves. Then I spy a speck of white hair, she had slid down a natural rock chute drain, pushing leaves and had slid in under them when she stopped. I give her a couple of more kicks, and she slides another 30 yds eacht time. I keep dragging, another 150yds to the bottom of the bluff. I gut her, then drag her about 130yds to the lake. I call a buddy, Dale Rose and he brings his boat down, and comes and picks me and the deer up. I weighed her on hanging scales before cutting her up, completely gutted, she weighed just under 130#, had fat 1 inch thick over her whole body. I have her all worked up, all the good cuts are salted down, curing, the other 8 quart bags are for BBQ, stew etc, about #25, gonna donate them to a family I know having it rough, a bunch of kids, good Christian folks. I am currently using a TC Omega, .50, with 95grs of 2FFG, Harvester crush rib sabot/260grain copper jacketed ballistic tip. I have a 3x9Burris, with ballistic has marks, rifle is zeroed 3" high at 100 with crosshair, dead on about 150, 180-220 I use the first has mark down, dead on. This made me 8 deer with this rifle, in 5 years, have taken the time to shoot it on paper at long ranges, know the ranges where I hunt, and this bullet is just devastating. Never have recovered one, open up an penetrate to hell an back. I shot competition on a local, state and national level for several years, used a traditional ML, TC Renegade for my first 43 BP whitetails her in KY and TN. Just thought I would share!

Basic Member
    I can send a pic to a smart phone, if someone would post for me!

Congrats! Great story. Heading to the woods this weekend but we are still in General Gun down here in Florida. Deer, Hog, Yote I am not picky I just need to bag something I got a decent 8 Pt in Henderson County KY back in Nov, but havn't gotten anything here in Florida. But this is also only the 3rd trip to the woods all season.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Henderson has a lot more deer than we do here, but we have some hosscats', every year Wayne county, has 5 or 6 deer, 170-190 inches killed. Our bear population is coming on, buddy of mine killed a #250, I processed it and he gave me half the meat, all the fat to render down. The meat tastes a lot like black angus beef. I killed #300 blackie in Maine last year, good eating too. Another guy local killed on that went #400!

That is very cool. We have been hearing rumors a black bear hunting season my open in the future. Numbers are getting pretty high especially in northern Florida and the ocala national forest. I see lots and lots of tracks and sign there. We have had a few come through destroying feeders and such in Steinhatchee on the leases.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]