Thread: sub sonic .308 loads

pitsnipe

sub sonic .308 loads

Just looking for some recipe's for a 1-10, 24", .308. For the day that I'm able to go pick up my new can from the LGS.

Thanks,

Snipe

clovishound
    Look at Hodgdon's website. They have some loads using Titegroup and Trailboss.

I made some Titegroup subsonic loads for .223. Was looking for something my daughter would not be afraid to shoot. They did OK. About like shooting .22 magnum. Accuracy was decent, but not as good as the full velocity loads. POI was a little lower than the high test versions, not surprisingly. Turns out my daughter had no problem with the full power loads, so I have a handful of these I need to shoot next time out.

HTH

Luke45
    Ok, i have your answer. best sub sonic load ive ever tried, sub moa. 165 gr flat point lazercast lead bullet(made for 30-30) . 8.2 gr trailboss. just under sound barrier and no problem stabilizing with short bullet.

same barrel length and same twist i tried it in. you may want to start at 10 gr and not use supressor and step down powder till the sonic crack goes away then shoot on paper to make sure its not keyholing, then add suppressor. Sounds like your opening a beer can yet still hits hard with the flat point.

This load is too light with a copper jacketed bullet, will only work on lead. Lead is the way to go for subsonic IMHO

Basic Member
    8 grains tight group flat nose 180 grain bullet. I want to try some 200's.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    8 grains tight group flat nose 180 grain bullet. I want to try some 200's.
    Is it a jacketed 180? i like trailboss becasue it still fills up the case

pitsnipe
    Thank you for the recipes/input.

Snipe

Basic Member
    They are not jacketed. I don't know what brand they are there old 30/30 bullets

Basic Member
    I know a lot of guys that will load the bullet backwards, this will maintain bullet stability longer, and give a larger surface area upon impact. it was explained to me as "think of a car going into a slide, the light rear end wants to swing around the much heavier front end." If you put the heavy end of the bullet forward, there will be less yaw, and decrease the chance of a baffle strike.
    Make sure that your bullet weight will stabilize at lower velocity (read faster twist for the heavies i.e. the 300 Blackout uses a 1:7 or 1:8 twist to stabilize the bullet at low velocity). Run a Greenhill formula to make sure your twist will stabilize the bullet.
    ALSO, Shoot your load work up WITHOUT the suppressor, and check your paper target for any signs of "keyholing." If the bullet is not hitting the target and putting a nice round hole in the paper, you may have a baffle strike,
    Be careful of what you wish for, and always be mindful of what others are trying to accomplish

Basic Member
    Any updated info here on subsonic 308 loads? In particular I am looking for something using unique powder with 168-175/180 or even 210 berger bullets.

I am shooting a 1-10 twist bolt and AR10 also with 1-10 twist
    Thanks

Berger.Fan222
    You may have stability issues with a 1 in 10 twist with the heavier bullets, especially at lower elevations. TB can go subsonic with 150 grain bullets with no stability worries. The use of unique is documented in much tribal internet knowledge, but I am not sure I've seen it recommended from reliable published sources to give me enough confidence to try it.