Thread: Model 12 with safety stuck in mid-position

Basic Member

Model 12 with safety stuck in mid-position

The safety on my Model 12 in .223 has become locked up. It won't go all the way forward; won't go all the way to the rear to the "SAFE" position. It fires, but I can't put it on "SAFE." Any suggestions? I've removed the action and tried to see what was binding, but am unable to get a look under the AccuTrigger mechanism.

Basic Member
    Sounds like the safety screw is out of adjustment.

Basic Member
    It should not fire from the middle position, either.

This may help you, it's for a 111, but should be the same

http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/s...10trigger.html

Basic Member
    Thanks, guys! Having no gun smithing skills, is performing this adjustment a good idea? 3) Screw #1 is to adjust the smooth travel of the safety lever. The safety lever should have no up/down (play) movement. It is also important to understand that this
    adjustment is usually not often necessary, but require the trigger be removed from the action in order to access the top of the screw.
    I've removed the action from the stock several times; but I've never removed the trigger mechanism from the action. How much trouble can a rank amateur get into in doing this?

Basic Member
    It can be done. Take pics of it first. It gets a little tough to put the spring back in when re-assembling, but it will go back with some effort. I had no experience, either, when I started working on Savages. I have no natural mechanical ability whatsoever, but have learned to do so by trial and error and am now building and "customizing" Savages all the time. They really are great rifles for the DIY'er.

Basic Member
    Thanks, foxx. I'll try to muster up the courage to try it!

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    It can be done. Take pics of it first. It gets a little tough to put the spring back in when re-assembling, but it will go back with some effort. I had no experience, either, when I started working on Savages. I have no natural mechanical ability whatsoever, but have learned to do so by trial and error and am now building and "customizing" Savages all the time. They really are great rifles for the DIY'er.

What's the worst that can happen if you can't get it back together properly - you take it to a gunsmith? And if you can take it apart and put it back together properly, you'll have more confidence the next time. Might even start thinking about swapping barrels...
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Basic Member
    Rick, I live in a little, bitty town in Central Texas and there's not a gunsmith within 2 hours drive (one way!) from me! I've got a hunt coming up and wanted to use this rifle, so I'm a bit hesitant to take it of action in case I mess things up. If I could get a step-by-step set of instructions on how to remove and replace the trigger assembly, I'd go ahead and jump in and try it. Any idea where I could get such detailed instructions?

Mach2
    Even if you can't fix it you could definitely put it back together. Don't be afraid of it. Disassrmbly and reassembly usually reveals and solves the problem. Also raise the trigger pull weight a little. you may have adjusted it as low as it can go. Sometimes this causes minor issues. Youtube is your friend.

Basic Member
    Start by removing the pin that the trigger pivots on.

Then the pin that the bolt release/sear pivots on.

The frame should then come off.

The safety slides along a slot in the tang area. There is coil spring that runs thru the frame and provides tension for the safety to slide against and stop along each "click" of the three positions.

If you get into trouble, there are plenty of people here who can help you.

If you don't want to mess with it before your hunt, I would strongly suggest you carry it unloaded. If you hunt from a blind, you can chamber a round, but don't close the bolt until you are ready to shoot.

Basic Member
    Thanks again, to all of you who provided me with some input!

Mach2, I have the AccuTrigger set at 5 lbs.

foxx, I'll probably give this a try tomorrow and let you know what, or how much trouble I get into! I do have back up firearms for my hunt, it's just that I had this particular rifle set up, including the reloads all sorted out, and was really comfortable with the rig until this safety issue cropped up.

Here in Texas we hunt over feeders, so there's no reason for me to either load the magazine or chamber a round until I am in my blind and ready to settle in.