Thread: Issues handloading

647Lapua

Issues handloading

Bought the gun new, 12FV in 223, shot some factory ammo and determined 69 grain shot best. But then I noticed rings around the cases towards the bottom of case body. So when I ran through my neck die, then bullet seater, the cases got stuck in it. The cases expanded enough to not fit my seater, L.E. Wilson. So I emailed savage, sent gun back and they sent back with new barrel and 10 fired cases. So I measured chamber again for my loads and found this was .1" shorter than first one, which disappointed me. I shot 69s and 75s and 75s did better this time, handloads, not factory. I had a FTF and when I pulled it out, I noticed a ring around the ogive... so that means the lengths I loaded to vs length the tool said I can load to didn't match up. I loaded deeper than the tool said I could, so it turns out I need to load like .055 DEEPER than the tool said, same thing happened with 68 grain and 70 grain when I tried and chambered a dummy round. All I hear about these guns are how long the throats are, I have to disagree. I load for Remington and even a beater ruger American and have had zero problems with OAL. Am I missing something here? Is this common? I shot 23.7 grains of Reloder 15 behind a 75 grain v max and at 100 yards I can shoot consistently under half inch, at 200 yards about three quarter to one inch if I sit still and do my part. Anyone else experience this type of problem with loading for these rifles?? Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm close to calling it quits on savage and buying a 700P in 223

To preclude having to send it back to Savage again, I'd consider having a gunsmith throat the barrel for the bullet weights you want to use. Load him some dummy rounds at the length you want that also fit the magazine and he can work his magic.

TC260
    So when I ran through my neck die, then bullet seater, the cases got stuck in it. The cases expanded enough to not fit my seater, L.E. Wilson. So I emailed savage, sent gun back
    Next time just send the seater die back to Wilson along with a couple fired cases so they can hone the dies to a precise fit. That's the way Wilson dies work and they do it free of charge.

I shot 23.7 grains of Reloder 15 behind a 75 grain v max
    Right in the sweet spot! You could cal them and tell them your throat is .XXX shorter and you are not happy.