Thread: 110 in .338 win mag change to another caliber?

BrianB

Question 110 in .338 win mag change to another caliber?

Does anyone have experience or know what a savage 110 originally a .338 Win Mag could possibly be changed to. I've been wanting to build a rifle, and I like the 6.5X284 Norma for my long range intentions. But I don't think this rifle would be a good candidate for that conversion. I haven't committed to anything yet, I'm still in the I want to build a good long range rifle but what caliber and where do I get the action to start on phase. I also have the same model in 270 but it's my go to deer slayer, so I would have a hard time messing with it. I've barely shot the 338 maybe 100rds since I got it over 20 years ago. It's in good shape but with that factory synthetic stock the recoil is murder. It's ok for the one shot deal when hunting but I want something fun to take out and shoot at 1000yds.
    So any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by BrianB; 12-06-2014 at 04:40 PM.

Basic Member
    Change boltface and barrel and your good to go

Basic Member
    You have the perfect candidate for that build. A 6.5-284norma can be built on a short action but to utilize the long bullets offered in a 6.5 you really need a long action. Your 338 has a .540 bolt face where you need a .473 boltface (same as 2506,270,3006 etc.)

BrianB

Talking

Thank you for the info. Now do you know where a good place to get the bolt face would be.
    I've already talked to Jim at Northland about the barrel.

Team Savage
    gunshack or midway

You should have no problems with that action at all. Great platform to start with.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Please keep us posted on your build.

BrianB
    I won't be able to start the build until late spring at the earliest. I still have to move the family and go on a 2 month training op before I can get settled in and start gathering the needed parts. I'm looking forward to doing the build. I've got my model 110 .270 doing pretty well. I've bedded it, added a better scope and mount, tuned the trigger to 4lbs, and just about got my hand loads sorted out. I need to duplicate the results I got with factory Hornady Superformance 130gr SST, 4 shots touching at 100yds. working on the 270 loads will have to hold me over until I can get started on the build.
    For the build I plan to go with the 6.5X284 Norma. With that being said, I'm open to suggestions on barrel, stock, trigger, scope, etc. I have a little time before beginning so I'll be doing more research to make sure I'm getting exactly what I want once completed. So feel free to give me any and all recomendations about this.

Thanks

You can go vastly different ways with styles, prices etc....on this, so its really going to be up to you. I personally have a criterion in 280AI from Jim at northland, in my opinion it shoots lights out and I just now have 100rds down the pipe. Jim is great to deal with and if Im not mistaken he keeps some 6.5x284 barrels in stock, and ships really quick when in stock. I have a McGowen barrel at Apache that Im getting chambered in the 6x55 swede, that should be here soon. All of our sponsors here have great products. My 280AI wears a choate tactical, that I like really well (albeit a little heavier than Id planned), but the 6x55sweded will have a Boyds on it. I put a Rifle Basix trigger in my 280AI (cant keep em straight #1 or #2 (the heavier pull one). I like it so far. There are plenty of guys here that have built and put together many more than I have, and these are just a couple Ive used. Its really how much you want to put into it and how much you want to spend. As far as glass goes, Ill be purchasing a Vortex soon, I've had good luck with the Nikons I use, again....depends on how much you want to spend.
    Hope this helps at least some.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.