Thread: Savage VLP 243

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Savage VLP 243

Guy's,

Just wanted to share this one in case anyone runs into the same problem and can't figure it out. Anyway I purchased a Savage model 12 VLP several years ago and could never get it to shoot consistantly. It would put 2 bullets in the same hole and then I would get a flier. I went so far as to glass bed the action which helped but still didn't fix the issue. The barrel fouled badly when I first got the rifle, so I chalked it up to a so-so barrel. Recently I was reading a forum that said that the front scope base can cause accuracy issues if it contacts the recoil lug. Didn't I feel stupid. I'm 49 years old and have been shooting/reloading for a long time but never thought to check this, even when I bedded the rifle. Well you can see where this is going. I checked the weaver style front base and it was sitting right on top of the recoil lug! It was probably hanging over the recoil lug about a 1/16 of an inch but never noticed it. Too make a long story even longer, I filed down the front of the base and presto I went to consistent one hole groups! This load previously would put two bullets touching and a third one a half an inch away or more. The load in case anyone is curious is listed below. Next I'll go back to my 87 grain V maxes and see how they do. I'm glad I stuck with it. I was about to rebarrel this dam thing. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. Thanks and good shooting!!!

Win brass
    70 grain Nosler BT
    46.5 grains IMR 4350
    CCI BR2
    COL - 2.773 (Just touching lands)
    Last edited by savvlp; 12-05-2014 at 11:10 PM.