Thread: Article: Frankford Arsenal Platimum Series Rotary Tumbler

Article: Frankford Arsenal Platimum Series Rotary Tumbler

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

gruising

Stainless Pin tumbling

Hi, I have been using stainless steel pins for about two years to clean my brass. I reload for several people so I have a lot of brass. Over the years I have used about every way there is to clean my brass. At this time I have a walnut shell/rouge tumbler, a two gallon ultrasonic cleaner and two different pin tumblers. Hands down, the pins are the best. The ultrasonic works too good and the brass will tarnish almost as fast as you can dry it. First thing I learned with the pins is to do a pre-wash with a bit of dish soap in a bucket to remove most of the sizing lube, otherwise it is transferred to the pins. I just use warm water and Dawn and hand stir them then rinse. Into my home made tumbler with a very small amount of Hornady "one shot" cleaner. I do mean a small amount. I use one teaspoon to 200 or 300, .308 cases. This keeps the foaming down. I will tumble them for three or four hours and they are better than new. My biggest problem has been separating the brass and pins without spilling pins everywhere. At this time I dump them in a 1/4" wire mesh basket in a kitty litter tray with water in it and shake it a bit to leave the pins in the tray. It would seem to me that the Frankford unit has solved that for the most part with the strainer end caps and a bucket. Use cold water to prevent tarnish and air dry on a large towel. Heated drying is faster but will tarnish the cases. I just use a small fan and they are dry in a couple of hours. Gary

I've actually been looking for a wire mesh strainer that's big enough to fit a 5-gallon bucket so I can just dump the water/media over and separate the media in one quick/easy step. Worst case scenario I'll have to throw something together using screen door wire mesh.

michaelnel
    If I didn't already have a Thumler's Tumbler, I would buy one of these in a heartbeat. Looks like a way superior design at greatly reduced cost. The TT is truly an example of backyard engineering. It works, but it's crude and nasty and difficult to deal with.

I have been looking at using one of the fine screen vegetable strainers to separate the pins. I think that I found it at Wal-Mart in the cooking section, the mess that is used in it is very fine, like screen door screen. Mr. J.Baker just an idea that I have, have not tried my new tumbler yet.

sparky123321
    Just fill your RBCS or Dillon media separator with water and spin the brass submerged in the water. This method removes 99.999% of the pins and helps to rinse the brass. I normally dump and refill with clean water 3 or 4 times and I'm good to go. Fully rinsed and all the pins are out of the cases, even smaller cases like .17's. In warmer weather I just put the garden hose in the separator and let it run while I spin the brass.