Thread: Upgrade current rifle or new one?

Battlehawk1025

Upgrade current rifle or new one?

Hey Folks!
    Big time lurker. First time poster in this forum. So I purchased a savage 11vt in 223 off my brother last year. Changed the stock to an XLR chassis and upgraded glass of course. Shoots pretty good now. I shoot from a bench and bipod and bags mostly up to 400 yards with this rifle . Usually I shoot Sub MOA with factory match ammo and pretty pleased with it. Caught the shooting bug of course. I want to get even tighter groupings. Besides for reloading at this time. I'm debating am I better making further upgrades money wise to my 11vt or purchase a new factory target rifle (thinking model 12 f/tr). What do you guys think?
    Thanks!

Basic Member
    with the Chasis you have Switching out the bolt head, re-barreling, a good scope, and trigger time is probably or starting up your reloading is probably the way to go. If only shooting to 400yds the 223 is highly capable. If you start reloading you can get a lot out of the 223 out to 400yds.

LongRange
    imho spend your money on reloading equip...like LoneWolf said you can get a lot more outta the riffle you have and then upgrade.

Battlehawk1025
    Honestly reloading isn't really an option for me at this time. Really just don't have the time for it. Actually just thing buying one of the savage target actions and mate it up to a aftermarket high end match grade barrel and drop it in the xlr chassis and night force scope and it would be cheaper and better then the 12 ftr and I can make 11vt back to "stock" and let my younger bother use to learn on. Eventually I want to get into reloading but between a wedding planning, school and work. I'm lucky to have time to shoot

LongRange
    if your going to do that,which is a great package you have in mind,you may want to build a 6.5 creedmore as hornadys factory ammo is pretty good from what ive seen or go with a 308 as we all know the match ammo is good.

Basic Member
    It's a lot easier to taylor the load to the gun, than building a gun around the ammo. The best rifles shot in competition don't use factory fodder.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Whu not just put a new match barrel on the gun that you have?
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Battlehawk1025
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    Whu not just put a new match barrel on the gun that you have?
    Really didn't come to mind I think that's just what I will do for now... Does getting a different savage action make a difference in accuracy ?

LongRange
    nope.

Battlehawk1025
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    nope.
    Cool thanks. I thought there would be a difference in accuracy between the savage target action and action on my 11vt and the varmint action . Whats the difference between the 2 anyway. Still searching
    Last edited by Battlehawk1025; 12-05-2014 at 03:17 PM.

LongRange
    Im pretty sure the 11vt is a dicks sporting goods exclusive with a 2 screw action. The target action is a 3 screw single shot action and comes with a target accu trigger thats supposed to be lighter than the regular accu trigger,also im pretty sure the 11vt is an open top action and the target action is a closed top. The target action also comes in a dual port as well. As far as one being more accurate than the other i doubt theres any difference,my 260 is built off a target action and the only difference ive noticed from any other savage action is the bolt closes a little bit smoother.

Some of the other guys with more knowledge than me can tell you more.

I'd just stay with what you have and wait until you CAN reload,,, that is where the bug hole accuracy is,, tuning the rifle by tweaking the ammo.
    There really is an excuse for everything!