Thread: Long action bolt head on a short action bolt

Long action bolt head on a short action bolt

****ed if I can find a short action magnum bolthead anywhere, but may have found a fix for it.

All I did was cut a few coils of the firing pin spring and set the fire pin protusion.

The top is the SA bolthead and firing pin assembly.

Firing pin protrusion. Looks like I could back the magnum firing pin out slightly, even better (on left).

Shows the firing pin is not making direct contact with the bolt head (on left). If I back the firing in out slightly, even better with more clearance.

Just another pic of the of the firing pin assembly and the depth being screwed into the shroud (magnum on left).

I would rather mess with a $6 spring than a $25 bolt head.

Trigger pull is right at 3#, perfect for a hunting rifle.
    Last edited by 223Rem; 12-04-2014 at 06:29 PM.

Great posting. I'll be in the process of doing a 308 build for a friend on a Stevens 200 in 223. I already have a 308 LA bolt head and wondered if I could somehow use it on the SA bolt/FP. Now I just have to find a SA baffle.

Just grind the ear off the .223 baffle and you are good to go.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

A friend of mine had a project like this and he ground the long action head down to match length of the short action head. He chamfered the hole slightly and polished it real smooth. worked great and he did not have to modify his spring. He made a minor adjustment for protrusion and that's it.

Good info!

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    A friend of mine had a project like this and he ground the long action head down to match length of the short action head. He chamfered the hole slightly and polished it real smooth. worked great and he did not have to modify his spring. He made a minor adjustment for protrusion and that's it.
    Again, I would rather mess with a $6 parts than a $25 part. Plus the time it takes to snip a spring versus grind metal..... Furthermore, once you grind the LA bolt head down, you can not go back to using it on a long action.

To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by 223Rem View Post
    Again, I would rather mess with a $6 parts than a $25 part. Plus the time it takes to snip a spring versus grind metal..... Furthermore, once you grind the LA bolt head down, you can not go back to using it on a long action.

To each his own.
    Good point. I just never considered swapping bolt heads back and forth. The SA magnum bolt head is hard to find. The long action one is easy. Come to think of it I do need a new firing pin spring. where did you get one for 6 dollars?