Thread: Savage Arms 555 top lever

skyjack

Savage Arms 555 top lever

My father just bought a new Savage Arms Steve 555 shotgun and the top lever is hard to move to the right to open the barrel to load. Is there a way to make it easier to move the top lever to open for loading?

I haven't handled one yet, but you have to remember that it's a $500 made in Turkey shotgun, not a $2,000+ Browning - it's going to be stiff and gritty. Both firing pins are cocked when opening the action so you're dealing with the force of both springs (likely overly heavy) when breaking it open, but that wouldn't affect the stiffness of the break-open lever. My guess is that it either has a very heavy return spring or there's some rough surfaces that need to break in before they'll smooth/lighten up a little.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Hello I too recently bought one. I bought the limited edition from dicks. I oiled mine well then shut and opened several times then shot 2 rounds of clays and mine is opening much better. It's normal even on higher dollar guns to open and close stiff for a while.

Just put a 555 .410 on layaway. A lot of the gun mag reviews were pretty positive and I think its a good gun for the money. Mine, too, is stiff but that will work itself out. The wood on mine is positively rich looking. Maybe I got lucky because some I have seen were plainer looking. It's so light that I will enjoy shooting one-hand skeet with it.

bobbyj

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyj View Post
    Just put a 555 .410 on layaway. A lot of the gun mag reviews were pretty positive and I think its a good gun for the money. Mine, too, is stiff but that will work itself out. The wood on mine is positively rich looking. Maybe I got lucky because some I have seen were plainer looking. It's so light that I will enjoy shooting one-hand skeet with it.

bobbyj
    Picked mine up today, fInally. Looking forward to shooting some clays this weekend. It weighs just 5.5 lbs. but i think it will be fun.

bobbyj

Basic Member
    Great gun!

I just bought a 20 ga. and "blooded it" on pesky pigeons!

I am not a shotgun guy and always have a bigger pile of empties than that of birds .......... but I went out to their favorite haunt and with the two most open chokes installed and brought down two birds with both barrels. ...... the first two shots out of the gun by me.

I am impressed!

Three 44s

bigbuster1

555 12ga

I recently got the 555 in 12ga and the gun kicks like a mule and the knob to break it down has a stiff spot in it. Looking at a way to reduce the recoil
    I noticed the recoil pad that is installed is like shoe rubber and has zero give. I purchased a limbsaver and am hoping it will help as i love the gun.
    I am surprised that Savage put this wood hard thing on such a light 12ga. especially when they have such a nice pad on the 220f.
    What do you all think of this gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Great gun!

I just bought a 20 ga. and "blooded it" on pesky pigeons!

I am not a shotgun guy and always have a bigger pile of empties than that of birds .......... but I went out to their favorite haunt and with the two most open chokes installed and brought down two birds with both barrels. ...... the first two shots out of the gun by me.

I am impressed!

Three 44s

Have to say I found the recoil on the 12ga 555 I reviewed to be fairly mild considering how light the gun is. I was fully expecting it to have more of a punch to it, but to me it didn't recoil much worse than my 16ga pump gun.

bigbuster1
    Guess im a whimp i like hearing that though, maybe it will challenge me. I love the way it handles though.

bigbuster1
    JUST TOOK THE 555 OUT WITH THE NEW LIMBSAVER AND NOW ITX FUN. I shot 50 rounds and i fell like i can do another 50.
    I guess the 555 gets a pla e in the safe.