Thread: Elk season over. Varmint season now!

Frank V

Elk season over. Varmint season now!

Well our Elk season is over & the freezer is empty, but wait,,, it's varmint season.
    Coyotes, Wolves (not varmints, but season open till Mar.15) Gophers will start coming out the end of Feb.

Who else is getting their varmint rifle ready????

JCalhoun
    Our gun deer season end on Feb 10 so I usually hunt small game until the end of Feb then get ready for coyotes until turkey season.

Basic Member
    Gun season ends Feb 10TH?! I'm moving to Alabama!

JCalhoun
    South AL has a split season for gun deer but has about 70 days overall. Archery starts middle of Oct and goes though without a split.

Frank V
    I'm getting antzy varmints look out!!!

Basic Member
    I'm trying to work up some loads for a AR right now. Upland bird season runs till the end of January so I have to keep the dogs busy till then. First of Feb, song dogs watch out. Oh, this year lions will be at the top of my list. Its been two years since I got one of those.

Basic Member
    Playing with a 1:8 twist 220 swift right now with 75gr A-max getting ready for the snow to come and the coyotes to get hungry. Elk season ended for me the other day when a big cow hit the ground. I'm ready for a break from elk hunting been a long stressful season trying to get our meat for the year.
    Doug

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Basic Member
    I shot a cow once. The only problem was we were in southern Michigan and it was my uncle's prize Hereford!

Basic Member
    Not a good thing Foxx! unless he wanted it shot?

D.ID
    I have the opposite problem, we butchered are cattle early. So I got to elk season with the long anticipation of a kid at Christmas. And then.......bang.......bang.bang= it's over.
    The early cow elk hunt for the father in law started at the target range mid afternoon with an instructional on long range equipment for his first ever seven hundred yard practice (7 shots) and then we headed up the mountain and we bagged him a cow a couple hours later, wam-bam one and done.
    Only an eight day bull elk season. Day one of elk was an unexpected bust but I got a huge 6x7 on the second morning, helped the parter get a 5x6 the next day. Wife's back is prepping for surgery and she can't even walk upright but still managed to get her a chance to shoot a spike (altho she passed) knowing it would be a hard recovery for us.
    All in all another great year elk hunting and making seven successful years in a row for me.
    Season has bean over all of five weeks and I am already longing for next year...............the coyotes are gonna have to pay the price of that anticipation but it just aint the same.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    Not a good thing Foxx! unless he wanted it shot?
    Nah, Chukar, I was only joking. :)

Just trying to poke fun at the difference in life/hunting/cultural experiences we have here in Michigan. No real Elk to speak of (a very few in one northern part of state that get a very limited hunt for lucky lottery winners). Around here, if you talk about shooting a cow, we immediately picture ole' Bessie getting one between the eyes from 6 inches away with a 30/30 or .22LR at the hand of a farmer!

D.ID
    22 mag at 5' is the only way to do ole' Bessie, we do 4-6 a year that way.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d.id View Post
    22 mag at 5' is the only way to do ole' bessie, we do 4-6 a year that way.
    wuss!!!! :)

Again, I am only joking. I've never done that, either. Just hear about it. I do have uncles with small dairy farms and one cousin with over 2,000 head. Actually, I'd like to be there and see how it's done some day. Maybe do it myself . I'd probably miss!.
    Last edited by foxx; 12-14-2014 at 03:33 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank V View Post
    Who else is getting their varmint rifle ready????
    My varmint rigs are never resting down here.
    I shoot all year round just because I can, p-dogs are out year round in many of my areas and coyotes are a weekly given for me.!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Nah, Chukar, I was only joking. :)

Just trying to poke fun at the difference in life/hunting/cultural experiences we have here in Michigan. No real Elk to speak of (a very few in one northern part of state that get a very limited hunt for lucky lottery winners). Around here, if you talk about shooting a cow, we immediately picture ole' Bessie getting one between the eyes from 6 inches away with a 30/30 or .22LR at the hand of a farmer!
    When I hear stuff like this I always think of an old joke about a farmer, a preacher and a broken down mule and a prize bull! Always makes me laugh.

Frank V
    Quote Originally Posted by 5spd View Post
    My varmint rigs are never resting down here.
    I shoot all year round just because I can, p-dogs are out year round in many of my areas and coyotes are a weekly given for me.!

One of these days I'm going to have to get to the eastern part of our state & try the Prarie Dogs.