Thread: SWFA--can I get a witness?

Basic Member

SWFA--can I get a witness?

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a SWFA SS 12x42. Using it for long range shooting on top of a Savage 10fcp-sr 150yrds and beyond. I would enjoy hearing pros and cons from the owners of this scope ONLY. Not looking to argue over brands here, I'm hanging my hat on SWFA. Thanks

Basic Member
    Yep great entry level/bargain scope for long range use. I was using one for long range steel when I first started. Good reticle, glass is decent enough to work with and 12x is just enough to work out to that 1000yd range.

When I upgraded to a higher end scope after using the SWFA for about a year my scores immediately improved.

I had better luck using holdovers and minimizing turret adjustments as I believe they may be just a touch on the loose side. Might have just been the one I have though. They're definitely solid for scopes in that price range!

Lone Wolf, Did you go up in power when your scores went up?

PB, If you are shooting mid or long range I found the 16X to improve my scores over the 12.

Basic Member
    I upgraded to a Vortex Razor, so better glass, better reticle, crisper adjustments, and more magnification.

Yes, clarity helps too. I rember when all of the prone shooting was getting started. Lots of guys had the B&L 10X and the SWFA 10X. When everyone started going up in power, the scores started falling. Now I never see a 10X on a serious rifle. I do see 25 and up though. I am about to go up on my 1000yd gun even though I never thought I would shoot as well as I have been with that magnification. Is yours the gen 1 or gen 2? Are you happy with it? What reticle? Sorry for the hijack.

Basic Member
    Moved conversation to PM. OP let me know if you have any questions it is a great scope for starting out on a budget. I've recommended it to numerous shooters who agree after using one.

reynoldsfamily3
    I got the same scope you listed during their last black Friday sale. I like it so far, would love to have a Nightforce or S&B, but that isn't going to happen. Adjustments are firm enough and the scope is better than I am for now. An upgrade is in the future at some point, but probably a couple ears and then the SWFA 12x will go on a rifle for my son. Mine is sitting on a Stevens 200 action in a Choate Tactical stock with a heavy varmint 7mm Rem Mag from Apache.

Twinsen
    When I don't want to spend $1,000 on a Vortex, I go with a fixed SWFA for $200-300.

SWFA 12x is their best scope except perhaps the 5-20 HD. I've had the 6x, 10x, 12x and 3-15x. Bright and clear image, precise reticle, decent turrets, for a steal of a price. I'd put the 3-15x at the top of my list, for the added flexibility, if it didn't have such a fat reticle and have odd optical effects with mirage at magnifications > 12x.
    "The truth is that all men having power ought to be mistrusted." - James Madison

I agree on the SWFA scopes. Aroung Thanksgiving the have a sale so I plan on buying then. Last time I bought 20x with rings & scope level for $249, last sale included lense caps.
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain[/FONT][/COLOR]

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinsen View Post
    When I don't want to spend $1,000 on a Vortex, I go with a fixed SWFA for $200-300.
    My version is close:.................When I don't want to spend $1,000 on a Bushnell, I go with a fixed SWFA for $200-300.

Basic Member
    Thanks for all the replies. Where are you guys buying your SWFA's? I would like to get it from my local gun shop.

Basic Member
    Only sold by SWFA unless you find a used one.

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by powderburnz View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Where are you guys buying your SWFA's? I would like to get it from my local gun shop.
    From their website or from their ebay listings.
    As far as I know they do not have "dealers" so your local gunshop is not going to have them.
    Last edited by D.ID; 02-11-2015 at 12:52 AM.

Basic Member
    I've seen them on Amazon

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by powderburnz View Post
    I've seen them on Amazon
    Yep, but not $299.

Quote Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
    Yep, but not $299.
    Yep, Amazon Super Sniper; Ships from and sold by none other that SWFA

SWFA.com They sell most other brands also. The SWFA comes in both MOA & Mil-Rad. IMHO can't be beat for bouble the price & great service if needed.
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain[/FONT][/COLOR]