Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vortex Scopes

Basic Member

Yeah I use warne rings myself. The point was quality rings. If you were concerned about more then surface area can be key but again quality rings.

Overtightening a screw is never the answer.

Got my "old" Crossfire back from Vortex with in 12 days. They replaced the elevation and windage adjustments, cleaned and lubed it and mailed it back. I'll report on how it does when I put it back on my 6mm BR.

Basic Member
    I performed a tall target test on my Viper HST yesterday. I dialed up 30 MOA and was expecting a 31.41" shift in POI. My actual shift in POI was 31.5" for a correction factor of (0.997) which I feel is pretty good. I also shot a box test and dialed 7 MOA steps since my target was only so big and it performed well there also. I want to do that test again and try to shoot a little slower but it wasn't bad.

Basic Member
    Wipe the inside of the rings with liquid electrical tape. Torque to the recommended value and let it sit for a few days. It will not move again.

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Wipe the inside of the rings with liquid electrical tape. Torque to the recommended value and let it sit for a few days. It will not move again.
    Good to know, thanks.

savage2014
    China made optics like vortex crossfire II 6-18 and weaver kaspa 4-16AO were crap. This is based on my experience.

sav250
    I have the PST-210S1A 2.5=10 x 44 EBR-1 on my .204:

It is 30mm instead of an inch in tube diameter.

I have two Swarovsky scopes on other rifles. One is the 1" tube 3-9X on my .250 Savage 14 and the other is the 30mm tube Swarovsky on a Mannlicher made in Austria.

Swarovsky is Austria, Mannlicher Steyr is Austria.

The most expensive scopes I have compete with the Vortex. I have no idea what people are saying about Vortex when they come from the negative side.

Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    I believe that they are falling off and for good reason. Every vortex I have ever had was total junk. Everyone of them needed to be sent off for repair and while the service was great I would rather of not had the pleasure of using it. For the money a leupold is way better. Might cost a bit more but you won't have to send it off multiple times.
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    I have lower end Crossfire's to the higher end PST's mounted on nothing bigger than 6.5-284s none lasted more than 100 rounds down range. I had one viper I sent off three times the last time I got it back I just through it in the trash.
    Doesn't matter what brand someone's talking about or what forum it's on, there's always that ONE GUY that's had every one he ever bought be bad and he's always the first one to chime in badmouthing the brand whenever their name comes up. Not saying you're lying, exaggerating, stretching the truth or anything like that, just making the distinction that you're obviously THAT GUY here on this forum when it comes to Vortex.

However, given my personal experience with several products from them over the years and the hundreds of favorable comments, posts and reviews for them on this and hundreds of other forums I think it's safe to say your experience is a rare exception rather than the rule. Conversely, I've had several suspect Leupold scopes over the years and know several people who have had to send their Leupy back in for repair or replacement. Even so you don't see me running around badmouthing Leupold every time someone mentions them, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Leupold if I thought it offered the best bang for the buck and was the best suited for what I needed it for.

As for the original question as to why they prices have dropped, that's typical for December/January as the retailers are trying to clear our last years models to make room for next years models. There's nothing wrong with the product, there's just a new/maybe improved version on the way. Often times the manufacturers will even give the retailers a credit/discount to move them out at reduced prices to ensure they will place orders for the new models. As others have noted, if you're patient and don't need the latest/greatest it's a great way to get much more scope for your money that you would waiting for the new models.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Twinsen
    I had my Vortex love shaken recently. I installed a new 4-16 on my FN and put up the best groups I've ever shot. Then I did a tracking test and one shot was very far off of where it should have been. If it was me, it was the only shot I made that day that wasn't amazing. It was very far off though, like 3-4 inches from where it should have been. I dunno. I have to retest.

Basic Member
    There are such things as flyers...
    Did the scope return to zero?
    Bet it did

sav250
    I've had Burris, Leupold, Swarovsky, Schmidt and Bender, Weaver, Bausch and Lomb, Khales, Zeiss, Docter, Miopta, Balvar, you name it I have shot a group with it.
    Flyers are hardest to control and they appear in a five shot group about 50% of the time. The guy that taught me how to reload in 1973 took 10 shot groups with all of his rifles. Not five shot groups. He wanted the best accuracy from a solid bench but not all need that sort of hair splitting. We are satisfied when we know the limitations of our caliber and scope.

My Savage Model 14 in .250 Savage deserves the best scope and that's why I put a Swarovsky on it:

There are 3 places a rifle is vulnerable to inaccuracy:

Scope
    Mount
    Rifle accuracy (not needed in close shooting)

In GE it's the mount that is important and the the scope has to be optically superior since they hunt at night in Germany.

In USA we think we pay less for the scope than the rifle and this contrasts with Northern European countries.

I can say spending money on an expensive scope is worth more than any rifle because you can shoot out a rifle barrel in 7.5 Seconds (total time to wear or corrode most barrels with chamber erosion and rifling damage).

I do believe there are flyers we do unintentionally despite our knowledge to be consistent. A flyer shoots out of the 5 shot group.

My way of testing a flyer is to increase the shots at the target from 5 to 10 and then decide what is happening.

Twinsen
    Quote Originally Posted by limige View Post
    There are such things as flyers...
    Did the scope return to zero?
    Bet it did
    Perfectly. Any other day, I'd have been sure it was me and not the rifle or scope. But that day I was shooting great. So I'll say I'm 50/50 on it. A retest will tell me what I need to know.

As for "flyers", I always thought that was BS for guys to say their rifles are more accurate than they really are. Maybe that opinion will change if my shooting gets better.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sav250 View Post
    It is 30mm instead of an inch in tube diameter.

Swarovsky is Austria, Mannlicher Steyr is Austria.

She's a beauty!

Basic Member
    I have 2 vipers and an older 30mm, 8x32 Crossfire. No issues, don't baby them, all have retained zero, crystal clear, work as good as my Leupolds, Burris, Weavers, Redfields and Nikons. I am partial to the older USA made Burris scopes. The Vortex scopes I zeroed, shoot from 100-1100 yds, no issues. I don't crank my elevation knobs a lot, use the mil dots and common sense. My 2 cents worth.

I have a Viper 6.5-20x50 mildot on a 243 winchester and after probably 200-300 rounds it started to shift zero when magnification was changed. Took it back to where I bought it and my friend who is the gunsmith at the shop shot it to verify this and then sent it back and put a new one on under warranty. Has been fine ever since with probably another 500-600 rounds since replacement. my friend that is the gunsmith put a nice mount and rings on it (I told him to mount the scope how he would if it was his rifle whatever it costs). He has the same scope on a savage target action in 6mm Rem Ackley that he used for 1000yd benchrest when he was in gunsmithing school and had no issues with it, which is why I bought a Vortex viper in the first place.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12