Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortex Scopes

SThomas3791

Vortex Scopes

About a year ago I was looking into getting a Vortex Diamondback scope for one of my hunting rifles. I read very good reviews on them and heard they have a very nice warranty program. My question is, I noticed recently that the Vortex prices have dropped a good bit. Usually when I see this happen its because companies are trying to burn off inventory or closeout items. Has the love affair people had with Vortex fallen off? Are they having quality issues that are hurting them making them drop their prices? I'm just concerned here since I am in the market for a new scope and I don't want to waste my time on a Vortex if they are having issues. As comparisons go I am looking at either the Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40, Burris Fullfield II in 3-9x40, and Leupold VX-1 3-9x40. Recently someone on this site recommended a Redfield Revolution to me also, so that could be in the mix as well.

Basic Member
    Where did you see these price drops. I don't think Vortex has fallen off at all. If anything they are claiming a larger stake in the optics market after this year.

I believe that they are falling off and for good reason. Every vortex I have ever had was total junk. Everyone of them needed to be sent off for repair and while the service was great I would rather of not had the pleasure of using it. For the money a leupold is way better. Might cost a bit more but you won't have to send it off multiple times.

Basic Member
    Must be their lower end lines then because the razor's and PST's are sweet

I once relied upon the "warranty" bit as a selling point also, so this isn't an affront to those who like the notion.
    Personally all the lower-than-Razor scopes I have seen/shot/heard of, they(friends and dealers) start the pitch with "Hey it's warranteed!!". That in my book these days is code for, "You Gonna need it!!"
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

I have a Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 on one of my shorty rigs. I put it on there because it's what I had sitting on the shelf and I wanted to shoot it. They are decent enough hunting scopes, hold zero with decent resolution and clarity.
    I actually have all of the scopes you mentioned except the VX1 I do have an older Vari x 2 which if I understand correctly is virtually the same thing.
    If you place them side by side my preference would be for the Burris. From what I have seen shooting them side by side the Burris seems to have the edge on resolution and features. I also have found the ballistic plex recticle to be very useful in the field. Though they have a lifetime warranty, I've never needed one on a Burris. There are many other differences in the scopes you mentioned and when you weigh it all out I'd give Burris the nod. I believe they are still running rebates on em right now too.
    I usually keep the Diamondback sitting around on the shelf because it holds zero and is a decent enough as a backup if I suspect a problem.
    Good luck and any of the scopes you mentioned are decent enough for putting meat in the freezer.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

SThomas3791
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Where did you see these price drops. I don't think Vortex has fallen off at all. If anything they are claiming a larger stake in the optics market after this year.
    you can get a crossfire ii for $140 and diamondbacks for $190 now. i remember pricing crossfires at around $180 sometime around january and diamondbacks were well over $200, that's why i never got the diamondback. that's almost 25% off the price i was seeing almost a year ago. just was wondering what was up and why the price drop that's all. i'm not saying there is a problem with them just wondering if there is so i don't fall victim to what i think may be a good deal.

Basic Member
    I have a 2.5-10 PST on a hunting rifle that is so bright and clear that I have an easier time making out small targets @ 600 with it than I did with my Weaver T36 that is often lauded by the br crowd. It has also seen some fairly abusive conditions, not just from the field but from heavy hitting 338s among others.

A buddy of mine has a rifle with a Nightforce 8-32 br that he is absolutely in love with. After looking through my PST he bought a 6-24 for his new build.

My next build is also getting a 6-24. I've looked through Nightforce, Zeiss, S&B, Leupold and other scopes- For optics and features I couldn't beat the Vortex. Their price point is often used as a selling point- I was prepared to spend quite a bit more and just never found a better combo. In their defense I only looked through one Swaro and no March's.

It all depends on what you're after, what kind of hunting, what ranges, what rifle etc.
    Last edited by mattri; 12-03-2014 at 11:46 PM.

Basic Member
    For what it's worth I own 2 Fullfield 2's and several vortex. Had to use vortex warranty a few times. Elevation and focus knobs crapping out. Great warranty...if you enjoy mounting/remounting scopes. The knobs failed within 50 rounds. This was a 4-16 hs and 6-24 pst.

No idea what the burris warranty is like.

Basic Member
    Mounted on what?

I have lower end Crossfire's to the higher end PST's mounted on nothing bigger than 6.5-284s none lasted more than 100 rounds down range. I had one viper I sent off three times the last time I got it back I just through it in the trash.

Basic Member
    I have a 6.5X20 Viper that's been back for repairs 2 times. The elevation knob goes out. It was mounted on a 30/06. It's now laying on the shelf.

Regards, Keith

Basic Member
    I have a 5-15x44 HST and a 4-16 x50 pst and both have been problem free..
    Shooting a 22-250 and 6.5 creedmoor. Im in the process of moving the pst to my 300wsm

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    Mounted on what?
    Both 308

Basic Member
    I guess I really don't know. I have three; 1 HS for about 3 years, 1 razor for almost 2 years and a PST for 6 or7 months. 1 issue with the razor. Unfortunately it turned out to be user error! Never had anything in a vortex that was less than a viper. The Razor and the HS have been through hell. Every time I think about it all I can see is a brand new scope for free!
    The price drop comes from competition. There has to be an ungodly amount of profit in scopes and vortex is going to compete with all the manufactures at the high end and the low end.
    Oh I forgot to mention the spotting scope- razor 16-48x60.

Basic Member
    we have three vipers mounted on 270 browning, 257 weatherby mag, 300 wsm savage. no problems with any of them.

palerider338
    No problems here either with the 6-24x 50 PST FFP EBR-1 MOA mounted on my 112BVSS in 30/06.........600 rounds down the pipe and dead on. 5 shot groups the size of a quarter @

200 yards with HSM 180's VLD's. Has even been knocked off the rifle rack at the club by a noob with 2 left feet with no ill effects. No complaints so far.

Basic Member
    6.5-20 Viper and never had a problem. Usually it is the person behind the scope that is a problem. Or how it is mounted.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    I have a 2.5-10 PST on a hunting rifle that is so bright and clear that I have an easier time making out small targets @ 600 with it than I did with my Weaver T36 that is often lauded by the br crowd. It has also seen some fairly abusive conditions, not just from the field but from heavy hitting 338s among others.

A buddy of mine has a rifle with a Nightforce 8-32 br that he is absolutely in love with. After looking through my PST he bought a 6-24 for his new build.

My next build is also getting a 6-24. I've looked through Nightforce, Zeiss, S&B, Leupold and other scopes- For optics and features I couldn't beat the Vortex. Their price point is often used as a selling point- I was prepared to spend quite a bit more and just never found a better combo. In their defense I only looked through one Swaro and no March's.

It all depends on what you're after, what kind of hunting, what ranges, what rifle etc.
    Would you consider a nice used one? Original box, all paperwork including the great warranty. No ring marks and as you said clearer than my Nightforce.

Rob44
    I've got several Vortex Scopes in various powers as well as Nikons, Leupolds, early Redfields and even a Balvar8 .I trusted a 2.5x10 Vortex to put on my Africa Carbine and a late day shot of 200 yds gave me plenty of light to see my target,,the scope took a pretty good beating but always held Zero, I just bought a 6.5x18 to mount on my M1A

I've just boxed up my cheap Crossfire 8X32X50 because it started acting up after four years of use. Talked to Brian at Vortex and they will take a look at it either fixing it or replacing it. Considering the original Crossfire is no long made for Vortex, I guess I'll most likely upgrade to a Crossfire II.

Basic Member
    When you mount these things you need to torque the screws to the reccomended settings. Thats not enough to keep the scope from
    slipping on heavier recoil guns. When you add torque to keep it from moving you will lose the ability to dial the scope. Or at best the
    dials wont be dependable enough to count on. So if dialing the scope is a must have feature, and you will be mounting it on a large
    magnum cartridge gun, id reccomend a different scope. It might take 20 shots or more before you notice the scope has moved.
    And please, no bs questions about ring lapping. The tube thickness is thin and thats the issue.

Basic Member
    yo buck, your wrong you do not increase torque to try and stop a scope from moving. buy better rings. something with more surface area and screws.

and/or add additional rings. you can put three rings on one scope if you have the room on the tube

screws are torque to yield, if you continue to tighten them you weaken the screw and cause it to fail. the metal will stretch and loose its torque.

Procule
    Limige youre one of say less then 10 ive ever heard discuss TTY of bolts. Its super critical. Especially in the engine realm. Same concept though.
    Top it off with over torqing lends it self to possibly stretching the threads in the ring and or distorting tbe tube.

Great topic.... I love my viper 6.5x20x44

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limige View Post
    yo buck, your wrong you do not increase torque to try and stop a scope from moving. buy better rings. something with more surface area and screws.

and/or add additional rings. you can put three rings on one scope if you have the room on the tube

screws are torque to yield, if you continue to tighten them you weaken the screw and cause it to fail. the metal will stretch and loose its torque.
    Originally we used Weaver tactical rings when we installed the scope. Weve used these same rings on other guns with heavy recoil such as the various ultramags.
    They are a wide ring having a total of 6 screws holding each cap. When we first installed the scope i didnt even own a torque driver and never had the need for one.
    I tightend the rings as i had been doing it when installing scopes for over 50 years. HOWEVER, in this case with this scope we couldnt zero the scope because the
    adjustments wouldnt work properly. I called Euro Optic where my son bought the scope and within hours a factory rep called me back. He asked if the gun was handy
    to where i was talking and it was. He suggested while on the phone with him loosen the ring screws which i did. He then asked me to check to see if it was tracking
    which it was. He then suggested my getting a torque driver and tighten the ring screws to 15 inch pounds of torque max. We also found that it wouldnt give us 1200
    yards of elevation even with the 20 minit base with the 338x378 cartridge in that gun. So we next installed a 40 minit base which brought about more problems.
    We couldnt zero the gun due to windage being off center with the scope elevation near the bottom. We now have U S Otics windage adjustable rings on the scope
    which are $216 a pop. They are of excellant quality with 4 screws holding each cap. They also solved the windage zero issue. The reason the scope moves in the rings
    is because the tube is thinner than other scopes like say Leupold or Nightforce and as a result the screws cant be tightend enough to hold the scope from slipping on
    heavy recoiling guns. Nightforce rings by the way have 4 screws per cap also. My own 338 has about a 25 grain heavier powder charge than my sons and the scope has never moved.
    If these scopes work for you on your gun thats wonderful. But thats the issues weve had with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast