Thread: round back or flat back receiver

snunty

round back or flat back receiver

This is my dilema. I have ordered my first savage a 10pc in 308. it will be here in a couple weeks i hope sooner :-\. I have also ordered a bushnell 6500 4.5-30x50 mil dot. i dont know what kind of base and rings to get. does this rifle have the round receiver? was thinking the weaver or egw picatinny style base maybe 20 moa? and the burriss sig zee rings? What do you guys think? will i need the 20 moa base or do you think this combo will have enough internal range to get this 308 out to maybe 500 yrds? dont want to have to hold under either to hit 100 yrds or less. i know that sounds silly but have heard of people having to do that because after seting up to hit longer ranges they didnt have enough travel to get the cross hairs back to 100 zero. Thanks guys. i will be ordering soon so that everything will be here and ready when the new baby arrives

Eric in NC

Re: round back or flat back receiver

A new rifle will be round back

If it is accutrigger it will be round.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

mopar440

0 moa base will be fine for 500 you should still have be fine with 20 moa to this happens more win useing high moa base like 40's i try to set scopes up in the middle of moa range of mid range im shooting if i plan to 1000yds want the scope to middle of its range at 500 just me though i basicly try to stay out of the extremes of the scope adjustments
    i like egw bases they post on here, their great price, and made in usa
    burris sig z rings will great if you ever want to longer you just swap bushings

tell us how like the scope i have been looking hard it for a while now

snunty

thanks everyone for your insight and advice!
    I just ordered the EGW1 20 moa base and Burris sig zee rings and a bunch of factory ammo in different weights to break in my barrel and find out if it likes any of the factory stuff. Don't reload yet. That will come later after the wife gets over the sticker shock of what i have already bought this week! New gun-$700+, new scope-$600+, base and rings and Bullets $200+ and so on and so forth.... ;D
    I haven't even gotten into any accessories or customization yet! :-[
    My credit card is melting!
    Thanks again.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by snunty
    This is my dilema. I have ordered my first savage a 10pc in 308. it will be here in a couple weeks i hope sooner :-\. I have also ordered a bushnell 6500 4.5-30x50 mil dot. i dont know what kind of base and rings to get. does this rifle have the round receiver? was thinking the weaver or egw picatinny style base maybe 20 moa? and the burriss sig zee rings? What do you guys think? will i need the 20 moa base or do you think this combo will have enough internal range to get this 308 out to maybe 500 yrds? dont want to have to hold under either to hit 100 yrds or less. i know that sounds silly but have heard of people having to do that because after seting up to hit longer ranges they didnt have enough travel to get the cross hairs back to 100 zero. Thanks guys. i will be ordering soon so that everything will be here and ready when the new baby arrives
    It is a round receiver. I have a question though, I tried to mount a new scope on my 10fp and it darn near burns up all the elevation trying to zero it at 100 yards. I sent pictures to the scope manufacturer and followed up with a phone call. They say that "The action is not optically centered and there is a 1 MOA cant". I have a flat base on the rifle. Anyone else ever heard of the action not being centered?

I answered your other post but just read this one and saw you said it is a round receiver and you have flat bases. There is your problem get the right bases for the gun and the problem will go away.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy

I answered your other post but just read this one and saw you said it is a round receiver and you have flat bases. There is your problem get the right bases for the gun and the problem will go away.
    The top of the base is flat (level) but the bottom is rouded to fit the reciever.