Thread: Sharp Shooters Supply

jiml100

Sharp Shooters Supply

does anyone know if this company is still in buisness ? been emailing them for 3 weeks with no answer, if there busy i understand, but they could atleast answer there customers emails. is there work the same way, does anyone know about this company... im looking for bolt fluting or fishnet.

Basic Member
    Yes, they are in business, going strong. Top workmanship and Fred, a member here (Sharpshooter), is THE Savage guru.

Communicating can be an issue. Your complaint is nothing new. Seems to be their mode of operation for many years, so don't worry that it is a sign of them going under oranything like that. They are very credible and honest, etc. Fred and his wife Lisa operate the whole show with the help of maybe one other part timer. His bolt fluting is top notch. Most of his work of this type is done in batches, it may be that he is not ready to accept the job at this point. My suggestion at this point, if you know exactly what you want (and are not just exploring your options and investigating, etc. ) make a simple, direct request for the item and ask that they call you to make pmt by CC. According to many others here, that seems to get the best results. I am not trying to be smart-alecky with you at all, but if that is not acceptable to you, or you are in a hurry, I'd recommend you search other sources. It's just the way it is with them. Great people. Tough to "shop".
    Last edited by foxx; 11-28-2014 at 04:01 PM.

AveragEd
    As a "rookie" Savage owner, I'm finding SSS to be very good in terms of service. I have a Model 12BVSS in 6.5-284 Norma and Lisa at SSS and I are going through a mutual learning process with regard to these rifles. Long story short, it is a long action receiver (regardless of its two-digit model number) with a short action magazine and that hybrid combination makes neither of their single shot feed ramps fit - one is too long for the stock's magazine box and the other is too short for the action. Lisa and Fred are working on a fix and our email communication has been good.

Here's a photo of what a long-action Model 12 looks like with a short-action feed ramp (it works, by the way).

When I first ordered the part, there was confusion about the action length as the Norma version of this cartridge, as opposed to the older version, requires a longer action to accommodate its shallower bullet seating depth but the gun bears a short action model number. It took three calls to savage before I found someone (Amanda) who had the initiative to search out the answer and get back to me.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the service I'm receiving at Sharp Shooters Supply!

Ed

sparky123321
    This subject comes up every couple weeks and I'm not sure why anyone does business with them any longer. I used SSS and used them often for many years. Probably way before many here even knew who they were. I haven't used them for going on 5 or 6 years now after waiting 12+ months for a stock I was promised in 12 weeks and I don't miss them at all. I usually build 1-3 rifles a year, primarily Savage based, but have built several custom and a Remington or two. There are plenty of good resources for your savage builds out there like Northland, Apache, Gunshack, McGowan, MidwayUSA, etc, etc, etc and these folks actually respond to your questions and fulfill your orders as promised. I didn't even mention any of the great gunsmiths out there or all the helpful forum members here and on other sights that will help you with your build.

I don't plan to ever do business with SSS again, but I still say and believe they should at least hire a part-time H.S. or College student to return calls and emails from customers, especially those waiting on long overdue orders already paid for. Lisa and Fred were always pleasant to deal with on the phone(when you could finally get through) and I'm sure they're good people, but they just weren't able to deliver on their promises one too many times for me.

Good Lord, Not Again... Didn't we jost through this whole thing 2 posts down?
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~