Thread: New 10 FCP - K 308 report.

justeric

New 10 FCP - K 308 report.

I just bought a brand new 10 FCP - K in 308 with a Millet TSR - 1 scope. I went the 100 yard range a week ago to break the gun in. I used American Eagle and my shots were all over the place but the purpose was to break the rifle in.

After finishing my box of hunting ammo a friend let me try 4 of his Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grain bullets. I didn’t expect much from the first round since it followed cleaning my gun. But the last three shots were really something. I managed to put them in a .4 inch group! Yea Baby.

Today I took my gun to the range with a box of Fiocchi Exacta Match 168 grain bullets to get it zeroed at 100 yards. After 6 shots, I nailed the center of my target. I didn’t try for groups I just chased the bullseye. After establishing my zero, I went to the 200 yard range. I guessed the bullet would drop 3 inches so I dialed in six clicks and took 3 shots. My group ended up being .77 inches at 200 yards. The group was within an inch of my POA being off due to the wind change.

I’ve been smiling ear to ear since shooting! I came home and tried to brag to the wife and two daughters but they didn’t seem to be impressed Heheh, Oh well.

Safe shooting,
    Eric

Snakum

Re: New 10 FCP - K 308 report.

Today my 7 year old shot mine for the first time, with coaching from mom. It was a lucky shot, but still ... first round sent ... center punch at 80 yards. We were floored and laughed about it all night. Her older brother is not amused. :D

Basic Member

Congratulations on getting a very nice gun. I think you will be more impressed when you tailor a load to that gun.

Snakum, Those are great pics. So nice to see the family out shooting. That smile on your daughters face is great to see.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." ~ George Washington

Snakum

Thanks.

I have four 168gr SMK loads worked up for it using mil brass and commercial brass with 4064 and 4895, and all four can use the same dope table (Whew! That took some work!). They are also close enough to my HSM Match ammo I can use the same table for it, too.

Crazy accurate rifle, I must say, and I can get 1/2 MOA out to 300 if I'm not fighting wind. MOA to 600 yards (haven't had it farther yet). I shot my first ever almost one-hole-group two weeks ago with Georgia Arms 168gr Match. The ammo is way too hot though. Bolt is sticking on every fourth or fifth round and the recoil is noticeably sharper with GA. Shame. That ammo is crazy accurate in both my .308s.

thehouseproduct

Great pictures. My 25 year old girlfriend complained about the kick of 308, maybe your daughter can give her a shooting lesson! ;D ;D

PBinWA

Is that a piece of pipe insulation taped on the stock?

MDM

I'm pretty sure the Federal Gold Medal 168 loads are 44 gr of Varget. That is what I shoot out of my TC Icon and it is a sub .5" load all day with it.

Basic Member

You will find that 42 grains of RL15 and the 168SMK will shoot in about every Savage there is. That is Sierra's accuracy load. They use Savage Barrels for their tests. It has worked in every Savage I have tried it in. Nice to have a few things to go to when you can't find a certain powder.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." ~ George Washington

Snakum

Yes ... that is pipe insultation and duct tape on the stock. Some of you may know, Triad Tactical, Eagle, and Tac Ops stock packs have been out of stock at every dealers for many weeks. Just this week Tactical Works finally has some Tac Ops packs and I now have two on order. One for the Marlin scout gun and one for "Blackie".

No mo' ghet-to! ;D

Basic Member

Great shooting guys. ;D ;D ;D

That picture of your daughter with her target is just the cutest thing. ;D
    Kelly

ellobo

Reminds me of my 3 daughters when they were that age. Same smiles after shooting great scores. All three went on to win medals. But now my baby girl is 43 and career navy. Same smile when they caught big fish.

Dad el Lobo

Uncle Jack

I have a simular picture of my baby girl (now 35) with her first 17" rainbow trout. Getting your daughters out into the "Outdoors" is a good thing. They grow up and raise your grandkids and they vote.

uj

bodywerks

Awesome! Thanks for the report, and I don't doubt your .77" group at 200 - this gun is very likely capable of it with the right load and the right shooter. I am in love with mine, so much so that I bought the .223 as well :)

firemachine69

Quote Originally Posted by thehouseproduct
    Great pictures. My 25 year old girlfriend complained about the kick of 308, maybe your daughter can give her a shooting lesson! ;D ;D
    I own one (well, a "broken" one in southpaw configuration ;D), and seriously it kicks less than my 9mm Beretta Storm carbine. The brake is super-effective. Word of caution: Use muffs AND plugs with shooters new to centerfire, it is pretty loud. Sounds like a Howitzer going off. And I like it. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by GUNFANATIC
    That picture of your daughter with her target is just the cutest thing. ;D
    Ain't that the truth. ;D

borg

Quote Originally Posted by ThorBird
    You will find that 42 grains of RL15 and the 168SMK will shoot in about every Savage there is. That is Sierra's accuracy load. They use Savage Barrels for their tests. It has worked in every Savage I have tried it in. Nice to have a few things to go to when you can't find a certain powder.
    +1. I've been working up loads with 168 gr SMKs over RL-15 and haven't gotten to 42 gr yet, but every 3-shot group I've shot so far has been sub-MOA. Those were shot with the $30 scope the gun came with.

All of my pet loads use Reloder. I am convinced the powders are formulated with fairy dust and other magical ingredients.

shoofly

I also have this rifle and have had great success with berger 168 vld bullets molly. I'm using 46 gr. varget. My fps. average is2725 . No pressure problems. I have hit golf balls on a string at 500 yd at my range. several times. awesome rifle.

DGD6MM

Snakum, you anyour wife have a real Champion on your hands. The smile on kids faces are priceless. You reap what you sow, good job to all and thank God for kids...